India Celebrating 73rdRepublic Day on 26 January 2022
- According to the Ministry of Defence, for the first time, an Indian Air Force (IAF) will show grand fly past by 75 aircraft or helicopters. A drone show by 1,000 indigenously developed drones has been planned for the ‘Beating the Retreat’ ceremony, along with projection mapping will be shown for the first time. In another first, 480 dancers will perform during the cultural programme at the parade have been selected through a nationwide Vande Bharatam dance competition.
International Cricket Council announced ICC Awards 2021
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced the winners of the 17th edition of ICC Awards for the year 2021 to recognise and honour the best international cricket players of the previous 12 months, between January 01, 2021, and December 31, 2021. Notably, these awards honour players for their performances for their respective national side in a year.
The apex international cricket governing body has named the winners in the different categories such as:
Emerging Cricketer of the Year, T20I Cricketer of the Year and Associate Cricketer of the Year for both men’s and women’s cricket.
Winners are listed below:
Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy for ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year:
Smriti Mandhana (India)
Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Year:
Shaheen Afridi (Pakistan)
ICC Umpire of the Year:
ICC Men’s T20I Cricketer of the Year:
Mohammad Rizwan (Pakistan)
ICC Women’s T20I Cricketer of the Year:
Tammy Beaumont (England)
ICC Emerging Men’s Cricketer of the Year:
Janneman Malan (South Africa)
ICC Emerging Women’s Cricketer of the Year:
Fatima Sana (Pakistan)
ICC Men’s Associate Cricketer of the Year:
Zeeshan Maqsood (Oman)
ICC Women’s Associate Cricketer of the Year:
Andrea-Mae Zepeda (Austria)
ICC Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year:
Babar Azam (Pakistan)
ICC Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year:
Lizelle Lee (South Africa)
ICC Men’s Test Cricketer of the Year:
Joe Root (England)
Ministry of Home Affairs Padma Awards 2022 announced
The Union ministry of home affairs announced the Padma awards on the eve of the country’s 73rd Republic Day.
The Awards are given in three categories:
- Padma Vibhushan (for exceptional and distinguished service)
- Padma Bhushan (distinguished service of higher-order)
- Padma Shri (distinguished service)
- The award seeks to recognize achievements in all fields of activities or disciplines where an element of public service is involved. These awards are conferred by the President of India at ceremonial functions which are held at Rashtrapati Bhawan usually around March/ April every year.
Padma Vibhushan (4)
- Ms. Prabha Atre Art Maharashtra
- Shri Radhey shyam Khemka (Posthumous) Literature and Education U.P.
- General BipinRawat(Posthumous) Civil Service Uttarakhand
- ShriKalyan Singh (Posthumous) Public Affairs Uttar Pradesh
Padma Bhushan (17)
- ShriGhulamNabi Azad Public Affairs Jammu and Kashmir
- Shri Victor Banerjee Art West Bengal
- Ms. GurmeetBawa(Posthumous) Art Punjab
- ShriBuddhadebBhattacharjee Public Affairs West Bengal
- ShriNatarajanChandrasekaran Trade and Industry Maharashtra
- Shri Krishna Ella and Smt. Suchitra Ella* (Duo) Trade and Industry Telangana
- Ms. Madhur Jaffery Others Culinary USA
- Shri Devendra Jhajharia Sports Rajasthan
- Shri Rashid Khan Art Uttar Pradesh
- Shri Rajiv Mehrishi Civil Service Rajasthan
- Shri SatyaNarayana Nadella Trade and Industry USA
- Shri Sundararajan Pichai Trade and Industry USA
- Shri Cyrus PoonawallaTrade and Industry Maharashtra
- Shri Sanjaya Rajaram (Posthumous) Sci and Engg Mexico
- Ms. Pratibha Ray Literature and Education Odisha
- Swami Sachidan and Literature and Education Gujarat
- Shri VashishthTripathi Literature and Education Uttar Pradesh
- Padma Shri (107)
- Union Agriculture Ministry has amended the guidelines of Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanization (SMAM) to provide 40-100 per cent subsidy until March 2023 in purchasing drones for farm mechanization. After the amendment, a grant for the purchase of drones up to 100 per cent of the cost of agriculture drones or Rs 10 lakhs, whichever is less, can be given.
- The Union Minister of Home and Cooperation AmitShah has virtually released India’s First “District Good Governance Index” for 20 districts of Jammuand Kashmir. The top 5 districts in the District Good Governance Index” are (1) Jammu (2) Doda (3) Samba (4) Pulwama (5) Srinagar.
- Prime Minister NarendraModi has unveiled a hologram statue of NetajiSubhas Chandra Bose at India Gate on Parakram Divas. The size of the hologram statue is 28 feet in height and 6 feet in width. A grand statue, which will be made of granite, will replace the hologram statue once it is completed.
- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has released a 5-year roadmap and Vision Document 2.0 for the electronics sector. The Vision Document 2.0 titled “$300 bn Sustainable Electronics Manufacturing & Exports by 2026” has been prepared by MeitY in association with the India Cellular & Electronics Association (ICEA).
- India has paid USD 29.9 million in UN regular budget assessments for the year 2022. As of January 21, 2022, 24 Member States have paid their regular budget assessments in full. India is currently a nonpermanent member of the 15-nation Security Council and its two-year term will end on December 31, 2022.
- Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar (PMRBP) for the year 2022 has been conferred to 29 children. These winners include 15 Boys and 14 Girls, belonging to 21 States and UTs. The PMRBP award is given by the Government of India to children with exceptional abilities and outstanding accomplishments in 6 categories. The award carries a cash prize of Rs.1,00,000/-.
- LokSabha Speaker Om Birla has launched the official mobile application of the Parliament named ‘Digital Sansad App’ on January 27, 2022, to allow citizens toaccess live proceedings of the House, including the Union Budget 2022 live. The app will make the Parliament and Parliamentary proceedings accessible not only to the members but also to the public of the country.
States in the News
- Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, Jai Ram Thakur has launched the ‘Apna Kangra’ app and hampers handcrafted by self-help groups (SHGs) at Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh. The app aims to provide a hassle-free experience for tourists and to boost sales of local handicrafts.
- The government of Karnataka has launched India’s first AVGC Center of Excellence (CoE) (Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming, and Comics) in Mahadevapura, Bengaluru, Karnataka. AVGC CoEwas launched with pioneering high technology digital media hub under its Innovate Karnataka initiative. Itis funded by the Department of Electronics Information Technology Biotechnology and Science &Technology.
- Governments of Himachal Pradesh and Haryana have signed anMoU at Panchkula, for the construction of AdiBadri Dam that would come upon 77 acres in Himachal Pradesh near the AdiBadri area of Yamuna Nagar district of Haryana. The proposed dam aims for the rejuvenation of the Saraswatiriver with an estimated cost of Rs 215.35 crore.
- RamgarhVishdhari Wildlife Sanctuary in Rajasthan, which is among the proposed five sites in the country, is expected to be formally notified as tiger reserve (TR) soon before the Global Tiger Summit, which is to be held at Vladivostok, Russia.
- Kerala Bird Atlas (KBA), the first-of-its-kind State level bird atlas in India, has created solid baseline data about the distribution and abundance of bird species across all major habitats, giving an impetus to futuristic studies. It is being conducted as a citizen science-driven exercise with the participation of over1,000 volunteers of the bird watching community KBA has been prepared based on systematic surveys held twice over 60 days a year.
- India’s first innovation centre for graphene will be set up in Kerala by the Digital University Kerala (DUK), along with the Centre for Materials for Electronics Technology (C-MET) in Thrissur, for Rs86.41 crore. This will be the first graphene Research and Development (R&D) incubation centre in the country. Tata Steel Limited is set to be the industrial partner of the centre.
- The NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) member countries will be conducting a 12-day maritime exercise in the Mediterranean Sea from January 24, 2022. The name of the maritime exercise is “Neptune Strike ’22”. The naval drill will end on February 04, 2022. The main purpose of this exercise will be to demonstrate and test NATO’s wide range of maritime capabilities.
- Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley was sworn in for a second term in office on 20 January 2022, following a landslide victory by her party in the 2022election.
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), a multilateral development bank has committed USD 150 million to invest in the development of data centres that mostly serve emerging Asia. This project is being AIIB’s 1st data centre project. India is a key founding member of AIIB. AIIB’s investment of USD 100 million through a parallel fund structure and USD 50 million through co investments mark the final close of KDCF II, a development fund making strategic investments in the fast-growing data center sector with a focus on the Asia Pacific.
- The Russian, Chinese and Iranian navies undertook naval exercises CHIRU-2Q22 in the Gulf of Oman. The maritime drills conducted in the northern parts of the Indian Ocean aimed at deepening practical cooperation among the navies of the three countries.
- The world’s largest canal lock has been inaugurated at Ijmuiden, a small port city, in the Port of Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The sea lock was inaugurated by Dutch King Willen-Alexander. The Ijmuiden sea lock is 500-meter (1,640-feet) long and 70-meter wide. Construction on the massive infrastructure project began in 2016 and was meant to be done by 2019. It also went over the initiallyplanned budget by around €300 million ($338 million).
Agreements / MoUs Signed
- Jio Platforms (JPL) has signed a pact with the University of Oulu, Finland, to accelerate research and standardization in 6G technology. JPL and the University of Oulu will collaborate in Research and Development (R&D) of aerial and space communication, holographic beam forming, 3Dconnected intelligence in cyber security, microelectronics, and photonics.
- Bharti Airtel and Google have announced a long term partnership agreement, to accelerate the growth of India’s digital ecosystem. Under the deal, Googlewill invest USD 1 billion in Airtel. From the total investment, Google will invest USD 700 million to acquire a 1.28 per cent stake in Bharti Airtel Ltd. Theremaining USD 300 million will go toward multi-year commercial agreements with Airtel, including devices built together by the two tech giants.
- Terra Pay has signed MoU with NPCI International Payments Limited (NIPL) to allow Indian customers with an active UPI ID to receive real-time, international payments into their bank accounts via Terra Pay’s secure payments technology. It will enable a seamless and convenient cross-border remittancesexperience. NIPL is an international arm of the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
Books and Authors
- Union Minister of State for Culture, Meenakashi Lekhi has released a pictorial comic book titled ‘India’s Women Unsung Heroes’, as a tribute to the forgotten women freedom fighters of the country. The book has been prepared by the Ministry of Culture in partnership with Amar Chitra Katha, an Indian publisher of Indian comics and graphic novels. India will be celebrating 75 years of independence this August 15.
- The former finance secretary of India, Subhash Chandra Garg has announced his debut book named “The $10 Trillion Dream”. The book is scheduled to hit stands towards the end of February 2022. The new book explores the critical policy issues that India faces today and suggests reforms for it to become a USD 10 trillion economy by the mid-2030s. It is published by Penguin Random House India (PRHI).
- A new book titled “A Little Book of India: Celebrating 75 years of Independence” authored by Ruskin Bond was released, marking 75 years of India’s Independence. The book is the blend of “physical and spiritual” attributes of India and also highlights the last 75 years of India’s progress as a nation. It is published by Penguin Random House India (PRHI).
Banking / Economy / Business News
- According to a Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Working Paper, the optimal hedge ratio for the External Commercial Borrowings (ECBs) raised by firms in India is estimated at 63 per cent for the periods of high volatility in the foreign exchange (forex/FX) market. An optimal hedge ratio is a ratio that implies the percentage of total asset or liability exposure that an entity ought to hedge against exchange rate fluctuations.
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank (SFB) has launched ‘Platina Fixed Deposit’, offering interest of 15 basis points (bps) higher than the regular term deposit rates provided by Ujjivan SFB. The Platina FD is a non-callable deposit, where partial & premature withdrawal is not applicable. While the interest amount can be received on monthly, quarterly or at the end of the maturity period.
- The Government of India has sanctioned and notified the Scheme for the amalgamation of the Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative Bank Ltd with Unity Small Finance Bank Ltd. This means that from January 25, 2022 all the branches of the PMC Bank will function as branches of Unity Small FinanceBank Ltd.
- City Union Bank in association with smart-techenabled preventive healthcare platform GOQii and powered by the National Payments Corporation ofIndia (NPCI), has launched a wearable payment solution called CUB fitness watch debit card. Customers need to hold this wristwatch in front of the PoS device during payment like tapping the card on PoS.
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has cut India’s economic growth forecast for the current fiscal 2021-22 (FY22) to 9 per cent, in its latest world economic outlook report. Earlier this was estimated at 9.5%. IMF has projected the growth forecast forIndia in 2022-23 (FY23) at 7.1% IMF has projectedthe global growth rate in 2022 to 4.4%, and in 2023 to 3.8%.
- Food-ordering and instant grocery delivery platform, Swiggy has signed a $700 million funding round led by asset manager Invesco. With this, the total valuation of Swiggy has reached to $10.7 billion i.e. it is now a decacorn. A decacorn is a startup with a valuation of more than $10 billion.
- Fullerton India and One97 Communications Limited, which owns the brand Paytm, have announced a partnership to provide lending products to merchant partners and consumers. With the partnership, the two established institutions will leverage data-driven insights and wide reach to bring credit to new-to-credit users. They aim to co-create innovative merchant loan products using customer payment behaviour and Fullerton’s years of experience of understanding of this segment.
- The government of India officially handed over India’s flag carrier, Air India to the Tata Group on January 27, 2022, almost 69 years after acquiring the conglomerate. The total value of the deal is Rs 18,000 crore (US$2.4 billion). The strategic disinvestment transaction of Air India includes the transfer of a 100 per cent stake of GoI in Air India to Tata Sons, along with management control.
- A teen-focused Fintech startup based in India, Pencilton has recently launched PencilCard, a debit card that is compliant with National Common Mobility Card standards. It has been launched in partnership with Trans corp. The National Common Mobility Card was developed by India’s Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs in early 2019. It allows the user to pay for travel, toll duties, retail shopping and withdraw money.
- According to the World Gold Council (WGC) report ‘Gold Demand Trends 2021’ has informed that the global gold demand rose 10 per cent in 2021 to 4,021.3 tonnes. The overall gold demand during 2020, which was impacted following Covid-19 related disruptions, stood at 3,658.8 tonnes. India’s gold consumption surged to 797.3 tonnes in 2021, on the back of the recovery in consumer sentiments and pent-up demand post Covid-19-related disruptions and the bullish trend is set to continue this year as well.
Appointments / Resignations
- Plant-based meat company Good Dot has roped in Neeraj Chopra as its brand ambassador. With this association, the company wants to create awarenessabout the new category of plant-based meats. It also wants to send out a message that small changes in lifestyle and food choices can go a long way in making the world a better place.
- Vinod anand Jha has been appointed as the Chairperson of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) Adjudicating Authority, for a period of 5 years. Jha is a 1983-batch retired IRS officer, who was serving as the Principal ChiefCommissioner of Income Tax in Pune before this.
- The Government of India has appointed Dr V Anantha Nageswaran as the new Chief Economic Adviser. The announcement came days ahead of the presentation of the 2022 Union Budget on February 1 and the tabling of the 2021-22 Economic Survey on January 31.
- Pushp Kumar Joshi has been named to be the newchairman and managing director of Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL), the nation’s third-largest oil refining and fuel marketing company.
- Swedish defence company ‘Saab’ had been selected by the Indian Armed Force through a competitive programme for the supply of single-shot anti armour weapon AT4. AT4 will be used by the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force. The order includes the AT4CS AST, which can be fired from confined spaces such as from inside buildings, bunkers and other urban environments. Carl-Gustaf system of Saab is being already used by the Indian Armed Forces.
- Russia delivered all the contracted 70,000 AK-203 Kalashnikov assault rifles to the Indian Armed Forces. The Indian Armed Forces had placed an order for 670,000 rifles, for which the contract was signed on December 06, 2021, between India and Kalashnikov (Russian defence manufacturing unit). The total cost of the contract is around Rs 5,124 crore. The contract included procuring 70,000 riflesoff the shelf.
- Western Naval Command of the Indian Navy conducted a joint maritime exercise Paschim Lehar (XPL-2022) off the West Coast which concluded. The exercise continued for 20 days and was conducted with an aim to enhance Inter-Service synergy among the Indian Navy, IAF, Indian Army and Coast Guard.
Awards and Recognitions
- Former Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was conferred with the Netaji Award 2022 by Netaji Research Bureau. Consul General of Japan in Kolkata Nakamura Yutaka received the honour on behalf of Mr. Abe at a function at the Elgin Road residence of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on his 125th birth anniversary.
- Prajakta Koli has become India’s first UN Development Programme (UNDP) Youth Climate Champion. She is a content creator on various online platforms like youtube, Instagram, etc. She has been conferred the title for her contribution towards mental health, women’s rights and girl child educationthrough various global social campaigns.
- P S Vinothraj directed film Koozhangal from India won the best film award in the Asian Film Competition section at the 20th Dhaka International Film Festival. Information and Broadcasting Minister of Bangladesh Hasan Mahmud gave away the awards as Chief Guest during the concluding session organised at the National Museum auditorium in Dhaka.
- Olympian Neeraj Chopra will be honoured with ParamVishisht Seva Medal on the eve of Republic Day by President Ram Nath Kovind. He is the first track and field athlete to win a gold medal for India at the Olympics. Neeraj is a Subedar in the Indian Army.
- The government of Assam has conferred its highest civilian award ‘Assam Baibhav’ on Industrialist Ratan Tata. Assam governor Jagdish Mukhi conferred the award to the former chairman of Tata Sons. The Assam government conferred ‘Asom Baibhav’ to Ratan Tata for his contribution to setting up cancertreatment facilities in the state.
- Sathya mangalam Tiger Reserve (Erode district, Tamil Nadu) has been given the prestigious TX2award after its tiger numbers doubled to 80 since 2010. Apart from the STR, the Bardia National Park in Nepal has won this year’s TX2 award for doubling the population of wild tigers.
Summit and Conference
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi has hosted the first India-Central Asia Summit, through the virtual platform. It was the first of its kind engagement between India and the Central Asian countries at the level of leaders. The central Asian region has five recognized countries. The Summit was attended by the Presidents of these five Central Asian countries. These are the Republic of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic (Kyrgyzstan), Republic of Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Republic of Uzbekistan. The first India-Central Asia Summit coincided with the 30th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between India and Central Asian countries.
Ranks and Reports
- NITI Aayog has released a report titled ‘Banking on Electric Vehicles in India’ on January 22, 2022, which outlines the need and importance of the inclusion of Electric Vehicles in RBI priority-sector lending guidelines. The report has been developed by NITI Aayog in collaboration with US-based nonprofit organisations Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI), and RMI India.
- Transparency International has released the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) 2021 in which India has been ranked at 85th spot (Score of 40). The ranking has been topped jointly by three countries- Denmark, Finland and New Zealand(Score of 88). This ranking measures how corrupt each country’s public sector is perceived to be. The results are given on a scale of 0 (highly corrupt) to100 (very clean). 180 countries are ranked in it.
- Apple has retained its position as the most valuable brand in 2022 as well, according to the Brand Finance 2022 Global 500 report. The brand valuation of Apple was recorded at $355.1 billion in 2022, which is an increase of 35% from last year. This is the highest brand value ever recorded in the Brand Finance Global 500 ranking history. The Indianconglomerate Tata Group has emerged as the most valuable brand from India and also in South Asia. It is the only brand from the country in the top 100. The Global Rank of Tata Group 78. The brand value of Tata Group is US$23.9 billion.
Science and Technology News
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully test-fired the Vikas engine that would power India’s first human-carry rocket (Gaganyaan human space mission). This qualification test of the Vikas Engine for the Gaganyaan human space mission was conducted by ISRO at Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu. More such tests on Vikas Engine will be conducted in the future by ISRO.
- CSIR-Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI) has developed an indigenous RT-PCR diagnostic kit, ‘Om’, for the testing of the Omicron variant of coronavirus. It is the first kit made by any government institution, and the third to be madeindigenously, for specific testing of Omicron. Currently, two more such kits developed by private players are available in the market. The kit will give test results in around two hours.
- Ace Indian shuttler, PV Sindhu has bagged the women’s singles title at the Syed Modi International Tournament in Lucknow. Sindhu beat fellow Indian MalvikaBansod 21-13 21-16 to win her second Syed Modi title after 2017. The 2022 Syed Modi International badminton tournament was held at Babu Banarasi Das Indoor Stadium in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh from 18 to 23 January 2022.
- India’s first para-badminton academy has been set up in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. It has all the advanced equipment and facilities. The set-up will improve India’s medal prospects at the 2024 Paralympics to be held in Paris, France at Stade de France stadium.
- The women’s team from Ladakh has lifted the 9thNational Women’s Ice Hockey Championship in Himachal Pradesh. The championship was organized by the Ice Hockey Association of India at Kaza area in the Lahaul-Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh.
- Lucknow’s IPL franchise, which is owned by Sanjiv Goenka (RPSG Group), has been renamed Lucknow Super Giants ahead of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 mega auction. Lucknow team roped in KL Rahul as their captain and also roped in Australia allrounder Marcus Stoinis and leg-spinner Ravi Bishnoi.
- In India, the National Girl Child Day (NGCD) is observed annually on January 24. The day aims to focus on the inequalities faced by girls, to promote the education, health & nutrition of the girl child, and to spread awareness about the rights of a girl child.
- The International Day of Education is marked every year on 24 January globally to celebrate the role of education in bringing global peace and sustainable development.
- The Indian government established January 25 as the National Tourism Day to raise awareness about the importance of tourism for the country’s economy.The day is observed to cultivate awareness among the global community on the importance of tourism and its social, political, financial and cultural worth.
- India observes “National Voters’ Day” every year on January 25 to encourage more young voters to take part in the political process. Election Commission ofIndia is celebrating 12th National Voters Day on 25thJanuary 2022. The theme for this year’s NVD, ‘Making Elections Inclusive, Accessible and Participative’.
- International Day of Commemoration in memory of the victims of the Holocaust (International Holocaust Remembrance Day) is observed on 27 January. In 2022, the theme guiding the United Nations Holocaust remembrance and education is“Memory, Dignity and Justice”.
- The International Customs Day (ICD) is observed on 26 January every year. The day is celebrated to recognise the role of customs officials and agenciesand focus on the working conditions and challenges that customs officers face in their jobs. This year, the theme chosen by WCO for ICD is ‘Scaling up CustomsDigital Transformation by Embracing a Data Culture and Building a Data Ecosystem’.
- Data Privacy Day is celebrated on January 28, every year across the world. The objective of the day is to sensitize individuals and disseminate privacy practices and principles. It encourages everyone to own their privacy responsibilities to create a culture of privacy.
- Former India footballer Subhas Bhowmick has passed away at the age of 72 years due to prolonged illness. He was born in West Bengal. He was part ofthe Indian Football team that won a bronze medal at the 1970 Asian Games (held in Bangkok).
- Noted Indian historian, archaeologist and epigraphist from Tamil Nadu, Rama chandran Nagaswamy, has passed away. He was 91. He first director of the Tamil Nadu government’s Department of Archaeology. Nagaswamy was known for his work on temple inscriptions and art history of Tamil Nadu.
- Noted Kathakali dancer Milena Salvini of France has passed away. Italian-born Salvini was a regular visitor to India, especially Kerala where she learnt Kathakali, and ran ‘Centre Mandapa’, a school for Indian dance forms, in Paris. The Government of India conferred the Padma Shri award on Salvini in 2019 for her contribution in the field of performing arts.
- Former Hockey mid-fielder Charanjit Singh has passed away, after suffering a cardiac arrest and prolonged age-related illnesses. He was 90. He was the Captain of the Indian hockey team which won gold in the Tokyo Olympics of 1964. He was also a member of the Indian team which won silver medals in the 1960 Games in Rome, and in the 1962 Asian Games at Jakarta.
- Renowned Marathi author and social activist Anil Awachat has passed away. Awachat was the founder of a de-addiction center called MuktanganRehabilitation Center in Pune in 1986. He was known for his several Marathi books like “Manasa”, Swatahavishayi, “Gard”, “Karyarat”, “Karyamagna”and “Kutuhalapoti”.
- Indian Movie’s Jai Bhim and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simhamhave been officially shortlisted for the Oscars 2022. Jai Bhim is the fourth Indian film to get nominated for Oscars after Mother India, Salaam Bombay, and Lagaan. Marakkar Arabikadalinte Simham has been also nominated for the Global Community Oscar Awards 2021. The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts andSciences has released the list of 276 films eligible for the awards this year.
- Jammu and Kashmir Police has bagged 115 Police Medals for Gallantry (PMG), out of a total of 189 awarded this year. They more than doubled their lastyear’s tally of 52 PMGs. J&K Police won awards for conducting several counter-insurgency operations in 2019-20.
- India’s largest electric vehicle (EV) charging station with a capacity of 100 charging points for 4 wheelers, was opened at Delhi-Jaipur National Highway in Gurugram. Previously, India’s largest EV charging station was situated in Navi Mumbai with 16 AC & 4 DC charging ports for EVs. The new EV charging station has been developed by tech-piloting company Alektrify Private Limited.
- Union Minister of Agriculture: Narendra Singh Tomar
- Himachal Pradesh Capital: Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter)
- Himachal Pradesh Governor: RajendraArlekar
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister: Jai Ram Thakur
- Karnataka Capital: Bengaluru
- Karnataka Chief Minister: Basavaraj S Bommai
- Karnataka Governor: Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Chief Minister of Rajasthan: Ashok Gehlot; Governor: Kalraj Mishra
- Kerala Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Kerala Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
- Kerala Chief Minister: PinarayiVijayan
- NATO Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
- NATO Chairman of the NATO Military Committee: Admiral Rob Bauer
- Member countries of NATO: 30; Founded: 4 April 1949
- Barbados Capital: Bridgetown
- Barbados Currency: Barbados Dollar
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank Membership: 105 Members
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank Formation: 16 January 2016
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank Head: Jin Liqun
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Founded: 2017
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank MD & CEO: Ittira Davis
- Chairman Of PMC Bank: S. Balbir Singh Kochhar
- PMC Bank Founded: 1984
- PMC Bank Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- City Union Bank Headquarters: Kumbakonam
- City Union Bank CEO: Dr. N. Kamakodi (1 May 2011–)
- City Union Bank Founded: 1904
- Fullerton India CEO: ShantanuMitra
- Fullerton India Founded: 1994
- Fullerton India Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Tata Group Founder: Jamsetji Tata
- Tata Group Founded: 1868, Mumbai
- Tata Group Headquarters: Mumbai
- Saab Founded: 1937
- Saab Headquarters: Stockholm, Sweden
- Saab President and CEO: Micael Johansson
- Assam Governor: JagdishMukhi
- Assam Chief Minister: HimantaBiswaSarma
- Ice Hockey Association of India President: DrSurinder Mohan Bali
- 1st Chief Election Commissioner of Independent India- SukumarSen
- Sushil Chandra is the current 24th Chief Election Commissioner
- World Customs Organization headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
- World Customs Organization Membership: 182 countries
- World Customs Organization Secretary-General: KunioMikuriya
- Chairman and Space Secretary of ISRO: Dr S Somanath
- ISRO Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka
- ISRO established: 15 August 1969
- BhartiAirtel CEO: GopalVittal
- BhartiAirtel Founder: Sunil Bharti Mittal
- BhartiAirtel Founded: 7 July 1995
- Google CEO: SundarPichai
- Google Founded: 4 September 1998, California, United States
- Google Founders: Larry Page, Sergey Brin
- World Gold Council CEO: David Tait
- World Gold Council Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
- World Gold Council Founded: 1987
- World Gold Council President: Kelvin Dushnisky
- The Netherlands Capital: Amsterdam
- The Netherlands Currency: Euro
- The Netherlands Prime minister: Mark Rutte
- NPCI Founded: 2008
- NPCI Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- NPCI MD & CEO: DilipAsbe