PM Narendra Modi launches International Bullion Exchange IIBX in GIFT-City:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the ‘India International Bullion Exchange (IIBX)’, at the Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City) near Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- IIBX is India’s first international bullion exchange. The exchange, which was announced in Budget 2020, will sell physical gold and silver. The exchange will be open for jewellers with a net worth of Rs 25 crore and above to participate.
Commonwealth Games 2022: Weightlifter Sanket Sargar wins silver:
- India’s Sanket Sargar has scripted history, by becoming the first athlete from India to win a medal at Commonwealth Games 2022.
- He won a silver medal in the men’s 55kg event with a total of 248kg (113kg in snatch, 135 in clean and jerk) to finish behind Malaysia’s Aniq Mohamad, who took gold with a total of 249 kg (107kg in snatch, 142kg in clean and jerk).
Commonwealth Games 2022: Weightlifter Gururaja Poojary wins bronze:
- Gururaja Poojary has won a bronze medal in the men’s 61kg final at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022.
- Poojary successfully pulled off a combined lift of 269kg, (118kg in snatch and 151kg in clean and jerk) to ensure India’s second medal of the Games. The Indian lifter registered a score of 118 (kg) in Snatch and 151 (kg) in Clean & Jerk to put forward a total of 269 (kg) at the event and claim the third podium place. He was involved in a close battle with Canada’s Youri Simard but managed to beat him in the end for the medal.
DSF institutes “Dinesh Shahra Lifetime Award for Excellence” in Music:
- Dinesh Shahra Foundation (DSF) has taken a major stride in its efforts to promote soulful Indian music among the masses.
- The Foundation has instituted a first-of-its-kind ‘Dinesh Shahra Lifetime Award’ for Excellence in Music. The initiative is supported by the Indian Arts & Cultural Society. The Announcement of this novel recognition was made by Mr Dinesh Shahra, Trustee –DSF during a cultural event titled “Mausiqui’ in Mumbai recently.
Coca-Cola signed on Neeraj Chopra for Limca Sportz promotion:
- Coca-Cola has signed Olympic gold medalist, Neeraj Chopra for Limca Sportz promotion.
- Recently, Neeraj Chopra has become the first-ever Indian to win a silver medal at World Athletics Championships with his best throw of 88.13 m. Also, Neeraj Chopra has been ruled out of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022 in England due to an injury he picked up at World Athletics Championships.
Pranay Kumar Verma named as new High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh:
- Pranay Kumar Verma, an experienced diplomat and IFS official from the 1994 batch, has been chosen to serve as India’s next High Commissioner to Bangladesh.
- He is currently the ambassador of India to Vietnam. The Delhi-based Ministry of External Affairs made this announcement. Vikram Doraiswami, the current High Commissioner of India to the UK, is rumoured to be taking over, thus he is expected to start the job soon in his stead.
- Minister of External Affairs of the Government of India: Subrahmanyam Jaishankar.
Chhattisgarh CM launched ‘Mahtari Nyay Rath’ for women rights awareness:
- To educate the state’s women about their constitutional rights and laws, the Chhattisgarh Women Commission will host the Mukhyamantri Mahtari Nyay Rath Yatra.
- On the occasion of the Hareli Tihaar festival, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghelwill set off the “Mukhyamantri Mahtari Nyay Rath“. Through short films, messages, and booklets, the chariots will visit all of the districts to educate people about the legal protections for women and their constitutional rights.
- Chief Minister of Chattisgarh: Bhupesh Baghel
- Chairperson of the state women’s commission: Kiranmayi Nayak
Gujarat becomes first Indian state to launch semiconductor policy 2022-27:
- The Gujarat government has announced a dedicated ‘Gujarat Semiconductor Policy 2022-27’ with a view to generating at least 2,00,000 new employment opportunities during a period of five years.
- The Gujarat government has also decided to develop a “semicon city” which would be a part of the Dholera Special Investment Region. The projects approved under the Design-linked Incentive scheme of the Government of India will not be eligible for availing of the benefits under the new policy, said the state government press release.