Daily Current Affairs for 13th May 2023
5th edition of Global Ayurveda Festival to focus on health challenges
- The fifth edition of the Global Ayurveda Festival (Gaf 2023) will be held from December 1 to 5 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- The theme of the event is ‘Emerging Challenges in Healthcare & A Resurgent Ayurveda’.
- The event will bring together Ayurveda practitioners and stakeholders from around the world to showcase Ayurveda’s potential in addressing health challenges.
Anti-Dumping Duty on Optical Fiber Imports proposed by DGTR
- The Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR), which is a branch of the commerce ministry, has proposed the implementation of an anti-dumping tax on a specific type of optical fiber imported from China, Korea, and Indonesia to protect the local industry from low-priced foreign shipments.
Raghuram Rajan concerned about domino effect, and reckless capitalism in US
- Raghuram Rajan, the former Reserve Bank of India Governor, has shared his concerns regarding the state of the global economy and the challenges it presently faces.
- According to Raghuram Rajan, despite already experiencing the collapse of three major banks, the world’s largest economy, the United States of America, is still set to face many more challenges.
- In particular, Rajan expressed alarm at the domino effect, riskless capitalism, simmering time bombs, and long-term issues.
China and Pakistan agree to extend CPEC to Afghanistan
- Pakistan, China, and Afghanistanhave agreed to enhance their economic relations by extending the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), which is supported by Beijing, to Afghanistan.
- This move aims to fully exploit the potential of Afghanistan as a regional connectivity hub
Uttar Pradesh introduces “School Health Program” digital health cards for children
- According to a recent statement by the State government of Uttar Pradesh, the Urban Development Department and Lucknow Smart City have collaborated to launch a pilot project called the “School Health Program” in Lucknow.
- The program aims to improve the health of students and has been implemented in three schools as a part of the pilot project.
Swamp Deer Released into Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve (BTR)
- Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve (BTR) is located in Madhya Pradesh’s eastern Satpura hill range of Umaria and Katni districts.
- The name “Bandhavgarh” means “Brother’s Fort” in Hindi and is derived from the mythological story of Lord Rama and his brother Lakshmana.
- It is believed that Lord Rama gave the fort to his brother to keep watch over Lanka, and the fort has since been known as Bandhavgarh.
- This tiger reserve is of vital importance due to its diverse flora and fauna, which includes a healthy population of tigers and various herbivores.
- Recently, several swamp deer were released into this reserve.
Retail Inflation Sees Significant Drop in April, Hits 4.7%
- According to government data released, India’s retail inflationbased on the consumer price index decreased to 4.7% in April from 5.66% in the previous month due to lower food and fuel prices.
- This is the lowest inflation rate in 18 months and falls within the Reserve Bank of India‘s acceptable range of 2-6% for the second consecutive month
India’s IIP growth falls to 5-month low of 1.1% in March on poor manufacturing performance
- India’s industrial productiongrowth fell to a five-month low of 1.1% in March 2023, according to government data released.
- The poor performance of the power and manufacturing sectorswas primarily responsible for this decline, with the manufacturing sector growing only 0.5% compared to 1.4% a year ago.
- Power generation declined by 1.6% in March 2023, compared to a growth of 6.1% last year
Cochin Port has bagged the Sagar Shreshtha Sammaan Award 2023
- The Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways honoured the Cochin Port Authority (CPA)with the Sagar Shreshtha Sammaanfor the best turnaround time in non-container category during 2022-23.
- Minister for Ports and Shipping Sarbananda Sonowal presented the award to CPA Chairperson M. Beena in New Delhi.
- The award is in recognition of the ‘excellent performance of the Cochin Port in handling dry bulk and liquid bulk cargo vessels’.
Birthday of Indian football legend PK Banerjee will be celebrated as ‘AIFF Grassroots Day’
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF)has declared that June 23, the birth anniversary of Indian football legend Pradip Kumar Banerjee,will be recognized as ‘AIFF Grassroots Day’.
- This decision was made in acknowledgment of PK’s remarkable contributions to Indian football, notably his instrumental role in leading the national team to a historic Gold Medal triumph in the 1962 Asian Games.
- AIFF Secretary General Dr. Shaji Prabhakaran explained the selection of PK’s birthday as a tribute to his outstanding career as a footballer
World Migratory Bird Day 2023 celebrates on May 13
- World Migratory Bird Dayis a global event held twice a year on the second Saturday of May and October.
- It brings together bird enthusiasts to promote the conservation of migratory birds and raise awareness about their significance.
- In 2023, the focus is on water and its importance for these birds. Today, May 13, marks the celebration of World Migratory Bird Day.
- World Migratory Bird Day 2023 will be officially held on 13 May and 14 October
International Nurses Day 2023 Observed on 12th May
- International Nurses Dayis observed on the 12th of Mayevery year to commemorate the birth of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing, who was born on May 12, 1820.
- Nightingale was a British nurse, statistician, and social reformer who lay the foundation for what we see as modern nursing – a structured, methodical process of nursing the sick back to health.
- International Nurses Day is a Global celebration that acknowledges and celebrates the commitment and bravery of nurses around the world.