Daily Current Affairs for 16 May 2023
Amit Shah Inaugurates Training Program on Legislative Drafting in New Delhi
- Home Minister Amit Shahinaugurated a training program on legislative draftingin New Delhi.
- The program aims to create a better understanding of the principles and practices of legislative drafting among officers of Parliament, State Legislatures, various ministries, statutory bodies, and other government departments
National Medical Commission makes unique ID mandatory for doctors
- Doctorswill now have to get a Unique Identification Number (UID) to be able to practice medicine in the country, as per the new regulations by theNational Medical Commission (NMC).
- The UID will be generated centrally by the NMC ethics board and thereby grant the practitioner, registration in NMR and eligibility to practice medicine in India
India- EU Trade and Technology Council
- The India-EU Trade and Technology Council (TTC) is set to hold its first Ministerial meeting in Brussels on 16 May.
Storm Shadow Cruise Missile
- In a significant move, the United Kingdom has agreed to provide long-range Storm Shadow cruise missiles to Ukraine to strengthen its defense capabilities against invading Russian forces.
- The provision of these missiles is part of the continuous military aid extended by Western allies to Ukraine, which has been facing aggression from Russia since February 2022
Soaring Eagle Exercise
- The South Korea Air Force recently commenced the Soaring Eagle exercise, a large-scale training program aimed at enhancing its combat capabilities and ensuring the country’s defense posture.
- The exercise comes amidst heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula following North Korea’s firing of a purported solid-fuel intercontinental ballistic missile
Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami Inaugurates National Homoeopathic Convention ‘Homeocon 2023’ in Uttarakhand
- Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhamirecently inaugurated the National Homoeopathic Convention ‘Homeocon 2023’at Doon University, Dehradun.
- The convention aimed to showcase the significance of homeopathy as the second most practiced system of medicine worldwide, particularly highlighting its role during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- With the commitment of the state government to establish Uttarakhand as a prominent AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy) region, the event underscored the economic and effective nature of homeopathic treatments
Tungnath temple built by Pandavas declared national monument
- Tungnath,located in Rudraprayag, Uttarakhand, is not only one of the highest Shiva temples in the world but also the highest among the five Panch Kedar temples. Recently, it has been designated as a national monument.
- The Central Government declared Tungnath a monument of national importance in a notification dated March 27.
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), led by Devraj Singh Rautela, confirmed that they had been working towards this recognition for a significant period.
- During the process, ASI actively sought public opinions and objections regarding the declaration of Tungnath as a national heritage
Automated Return Scrutiny Module for GST returns
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has recently introduced an Automated Return Scrutiny Module to enhance tax compliance and simplify the scrutiny process of Goods and Services Tax (GST) returns
Palli Karma Sahayak Foundation (PKSF)
- Microfinance lenders play a crucial role in providing financial services to underserved populations, but they often face challenges in accessing a steady flow of funds, particularly during difficult times.
- To address this issue and ensure the long-term sustainability of the microfinance sector, lenders are contemplating the formation of a dedicated funding institution in line with the Palli Karma Sahayak Foundation (PKSF) in Bangladesh
International Day of Light 2023 celebrates on 16th May
- The International Day of Lightis observed on May 16every year to commemorate Theodore Maiman’s successful operation of the laser in 1960.
- This day serves as a reminder to enhance scientific collaboration and leverage its capacity to promote peace and sustainable progress.
- The International Day of Light is an annual event that recognizes the crucial significance of light in science, culture, art, education, and sustainable development