Daily Current Affairs for 22 May 2023
Deputy Chief Minister
- In a significant political development, Mallikarjun Kharge, the Congress party president, announced Siddaramaiah as the next Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- This decision concluded the contest primarily between Siddaramaiah and DK Shivakumar, who was subsequently appointed as the Deputy Chief Minister at the swearing-in ceremony.
Patch Reporting App
- The Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, Shri Pushkar Singh Dhami, recently inaugurated the innovative “Patch Reporting App” at the Secretariat.
- Developed by the Public Works Department, this user-friendly application aims to address the persistent issue of potholes on the state’s roads.
- By empowering individuals to report potholes and monitor the actions taken, the app strives to make Uttarakhand’s roads safe and free of potholes.
G7 Countries List, Names, Members, History, Significance
- The Group of Seven, commonly referred to as the G7, is an influential forum of some of the world’s leading industrialized democracies.
- It serves as a platform for discussions and coordination on global economic issues, security matters, and other pressing challenges.
- In this article, we will explore the G7 countries list, their names, members, delve into the history of the group, and discuss its significance in today’s global landscape
India begins “Operation Karuna” to assist Myanmar
- India has taken an initiative to aid those affected by Cyclone Mochain Myanmar by launching “Operation Karuna.”
- On May 18th, three ships, namely Indian Naval Ships Shivalik, Kamorta, and Savitri, arrived in Yangon with emergency relief material such as food supplies, tents, essential medicines, water pumps, portable generators, clothes, and hygiene items.
Riverine Based Religious Tourism Circuit
- The development of the ‘Riverine Based Religious Tourism Circuit’ in Assam took a significant step forward with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between multiple organizations.
- The MoU was signed by the Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI), Sagarmala Development Corporation Limited (SDCL), Assam Tourism Development Corporation (ATDC), and the Department of Inland Waterways Transport (DIWT).
Kudumbashree Celebrates Silver Jubilee
- President Droupadi Murmu, during her recent visit to Kerala, inaugurated the silver jubilee celebrations of Kudumbashree, the largest self-help group network in the country.
- The event celebrating the silver jubilee of Kudumbashree provided the opportunity to assess its accomplishments, examine the quality of life of its members, and plan for future sustainable development goals.
RBI Withdraws Rs.2,000 Denomination Notes
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has recently taken a significant step by withdrawing the Rs 2000 banknotes from circulation.
SEBI’s Risk Disclosure Framework for Individual Traders in Equity Derivative Segment
- To enhance investor protection and promote informed decision making, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has introduced a new risk disclosure framework for individual traders in the equity Futures & Options (F&O) segment.
- This framework, which will come to force from July 1, aims to provide detailed information about trading risks and empower investors to make well-informed choices
Meri LiFE, Mera Swachh Seher Campaign Gains Momentum
- The “Meri LiFE, Mera Swachh Shehar”campaign, launched by Union Minister Shri Hardeep S. Purion 15th May 2023, has gained significant momentum across urban India.
- With the aim of transforming waste into wealth, this nationwide campaign encourages cities to establish Reduce, Reuse, Recycle (RRR) Centres.
- These centers serve as one-stop collection points where citizens can contribute items such as clothes, shoes, old books, toys, and used plastic for reuse or recycling.
- Since its inception, thousands of RRR Centres have been set up, fostering a spirit of sustainability and better living.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Root Mean Square Granulation Contrast
- A pioneering metric has been proposed by researchers from the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) to assess the quality of images of the Sun obtained through ground-based telescopes.
International Day for Biological Diversity 2023 observed on 22 May
- Every year on May 22,the world marks theInternational Day for Biological Diversity to increase understanding and encourage the preservation of the Earth’s diverse ecosystems.
- This significant day serves as a reminder of the crucial role biodiversity plays and emphasizes the urgency to safeguard and revive it.
- In 2023, particular attention is given to moving beyond mere pledges and translating them into tangible measures that actively restore and conserve biodiversity
India observes the National Anti-Terrorism Day on May 21
- India observes the National Anti-Terrorism Day on May 21every year.
- The day is observed to commemorate the death of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi,who was assassinated on this day in 1991.
- The day is also observed to spread awareness about the dangers of terrorism and to reaffirm India’s commitment to combating terrorism.