Daily Current Affairs for 23 May 2023
Bhupender Yadav Inaugurates Centre of Excellence on Sustainable Land Management at Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education in Dehradun
- In a significant step towards combating land degradation and promoting sustainable land management practices, Union Minister Bhupender Yadav inaugurated the Centre of Excellence on Sustainable Land Management (CoE-SLM) at the Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) in Dehradun
Amit Shah Lays Foundation Stone of National Academy of Coastal Policing Campus in Dwaraka, Gujarat
- Union Home and Cooperation Minister Amit Shahrecently laid the foundation stone for the permanent campus of the National Academy of Coastal Policing in Dwaraka, Gujarat.
- In his address, Shah emphasized the BJP government’s commitment to coastal security, stating that it is a top priority under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The academy aims to provide comprehensive training facilities to over three thousand security personnel annually
Israel ties up with IIT-M to set up water technology centre
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madrashas entered into a partnership with Israel to establish the ‘India-Israel Center of Water Technology’ (CoWT).
- This joint initiative aims to address the challenges in water resources management and water technologies in India.
- The Letter of Intent (LoI) for the center was signed by representatives from both countries, highlighting the significance of this collaboration in ensuring water security for India
Japan ‘seriously looking’ at joining India’s UPI payments system
- Japanis “seriously”evaluating adopting India’s UPI payments system as both governments look at promoting digital cooperation by creating interoperability where the digital payments system could bring ease of cross-border payments.
- Japan and India aim to boost digital collaboration by creating interoperability through the real-time funds transfer system to ease digital payments
Himachal Pradesh’s Green Hydrogen Policy
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu has recently announced the formulation of a ‘Green Hydrogen’ policy, aiming to establish the state as a leading hub for green hydrogen production.
- The picturesque state of Himachal Pradesh boasts abundant renewable energy resources, including ample sunlight, water, and wind, making it an ideal location for generating green hydrogen
Riverine Based Religious Tourism Circuit
- The development of the ‘Riverine Based Religious Tourism Circuit’ in Assam took a significant step forward with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between multiple organizations.
- The MoU was signed by the Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI), Sagarmala Development Corporation Limited (SDCL), Assam Tourism Development Corporation (ATDC), and the Department of Inland Waterways Transport (DIWT)
Prime Minister Modi Receives Highest Honours from Fiji and Papua New Guinea
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s leadership and contributions have been recognized and honored with various prestigious international awards from different countries and organizations.
- In a recent development, he received the highest honors from Fiji and Papua New Guinea
Unlocking Financial Freedom: An Insight into the Liberalized Remittance Scheme (LRS)
- The government, in collaboration with the RBI, has proposed a modification to the Foreign Exchange Management (Current Account Transaction) Rules.
- This amendment involves including credit card transactions within the limit of $250,000 under the Liberalised Remittance Scheme (LRS).
- Any foreign remittance or purchase exceeding this limit will require prior approval from the RBI
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Garuda Aerospace and Naini Aerospace Collaborate to Manufacture Make in India Drones
- Garuda Aerospace, a leading drone manufacturer, has joined hands with Naini Aerospace, a subsidiary of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence, to establish a joint development partnership.
- This collaboration aims to enable Garuda Aerospace to manufacture Advanced Precision Droneswithin India for various applications.
- The partnership signifies a significant step towards achieving the Indian government’s vision of producing 1 lakh Made in India drones by 2024
World Turtle Day 2023 celebrates on 23rd May
- World Turtle Dayis an annual observance held every May 23rd.It began in 2000 and is sponsored by American Tortoise Rescue.
- The day was created as a yearly observance to help people celebrate and protect turtles and tortoises and their disappearing habitats, as well as to encourage human action to help them survive and thrive.
- The event was first celebrated in 2000, making 2023 the 24th anniversary of the observance
International Day to End Obstetric Fistula 2023 observed on 23 May
- On May 23,is theInternational Day to End Obstetric Fistula, Obstetric fistula is a hole in the birth canal that can develop when a woman experiences prolonged, obstructed labor without medical intervention.
- It is a devastating childbirth injury that can cause lifelong physical and social problems for women