Daily Current Affairs for 31 May 2023
New Parliament Building Name, Location, Design, Architect, History
- The Parliament House in New Delhi, also known as Sansad Bhavan, serves as the official venue for the Parliament of India.
- It accommodates the Lok Sabhaand the Rajya Sabha, which represent the lower and upper houses, respectively, in India’s two-chambered parliament.
- As part of the Central Vista Redevelopment Project in India, a new parliament building was constructed in New Delhi.
- On 28th May 2023, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated this new building
Revised Guidelines for SPG: Special Force Safeguarding PM to be Led by ADG
- The security responsibility of the prime minister, currently undertaken by the Special Protection Group (SPG), will now be overseen by an officer of the Indian Police Serviceholding the rank of at least an additional director general (ADG).
- Junior officers will be appointed on deputation for an initial period of six years
Nigeria: Bola Tinubu Sworn in as President
- Bola Tinubuwas sworn in as the President of Nigeriaon May 29, amidst mounting pressure to address the country’s persistent economic and security issues.
- The inauguration ceremony, held at Eagles Square in the capital city of Abuja, was attended by both local and foreign dignitaries.
- However, Tinubu’s victory in the February elections has been met with challenges, as his opponents have raised allegations of electoral fraud.
- As the new leader, Tinubu must confront the country’s economic distress, security concerns, and the need for political stability
Recep Tayyip Erdogan Wins Runoff Election
- In a closely watched election, Recep Tayyip Erdogan emerged as the winner in Turkey’s runoff election, securing his rule until 2028
- The victory comes after a challenging period marked by Turkey’s worst economic crisis in a generation. Erdogan’s ability to overcome these difficulties, along with his transformative but divisive rule, played a significant role in his success.
Justice Rao Sworn In As Himachal pradesh High Court CJ
- Justice Mamidanna Satya Ratna Sri Ramachandra Raohas officially become the 28th Chief Justice of the Himachal PradeshHigh Court.
- In a ceremony held at the Raj Bhawan, Governor Shiv Pratap Shukla administered the oath of office to Justice Rao.
- Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu was also present at the event.
- The proceedings of the oath ceremony were conducted by Chief Secretary Prabodh Saxena, who read out the Warrant of Appointment issued by the President of India in both Hindi and English languages
Sachin Tendulkar now ‘smile ambassador’ for Maharashtra govt
- The Eknath Shinde-led Shiv Sena-Bharatiya Janata Party government named cricket great Sachin Tendulkaras Maharashtra’s ‘Smile Ambassador’under the state’s ‘Swachh Mukh Abhiyan’ to spread awareness about oral health and hygiene across the state.
- The batting legend will be the face of the state medical education and drug department’s Swachh Mukh Abhiyan (SMA) and has offered his association free of cost, and for the entire duration the government wishes to run the programme
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
What is 2023 FW13?
- In a fascinating discovery, astronomers have recently identified an asteroid that behaves like a quasi-moon, orbiting Earth while being gravitationally bound by the Sun.
- This newfound celestial object, named 2023 FW13, has sparked excitement among space enthusiasts and offers a unique opportunity for scientific exploration
India to Host 14th Clean Energy Ministerial and 8th Mission Innovation Meeting alongside G20 Energy Transitions Ministerial in Goa
- India is set to host the 14th Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM-14) and 8th Mission Innovation (MI-8) meeting in Goa from July 19th to 22nd, 2023.
- The event will take place on the sidelines of the G20 Energy Transitions Ministerial Meeting.
- With the theme “Advancing Clean Energy Together,” this year’s CEM and MI meetings will bring together global stakeholders, including governments, international organizations, private sector entities, academia, innovators, civil society, and policymakers.
- The four-day program will feature high-level ministerial dialogues, global initiative launches, award announcements, minister-CEO roundtables, and a diverse range of side events related to clean energy transition
World No Tobacco Day 2023 observed on 31st May
- World No Tobacco Dayis an annual event held on May 31,organized by the World Health Organization (WHO) to promote awareness about the detrimental consequences of tobacco usage and advocate for policies aimed at reducing tobacco consumption.
- The primary goal of this initiative is to educate the public about the health hazards associated with tobacco use, encompassing both smoking and smokeless tobacco products.
- It emphasizes the significance of quitting tobacco and urges governments, organizations, and individuals to actively combat tobacco use.