TRIFED’s Aadi Mahotsav
Context: The Prime Minister will inaugurate TRIFED’s Aadi Mahotsav festival in Delhi. About Aadi Mahotsav:
- It is an annual Tribal Festival that was started in the year 2017.
- Organized by: It is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs & Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED).
- The Aadi Mahotsav acquaints people with rich tribal heritage and culture.
- It helps the underprivileged tribes get a bigger market for displaying and selling their arts and crafts.
- The Aadi Mahotsav is also an opportunity for the artisans to interact directly with art lovers and get first-hand feedback which can then better their creations and designs.
- Aadi Mahotsav establishes a direct connection between the masses and the tribal people.
- TRIFED was established in 1987 under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984 as a National level Cooperative body under the administrative control of the then Ministry of Welfare of India.
- Mandate: To bring about socio-economic development of tribals of the country by institutionalizing the trade of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) & Surplus Agricultural Produce (SAP) collected/ cultivated by them.
- Dual Role: It plays the dual role of both a market developer and a service provider, empowering the tribals with knowledge and tools to better their operations in a systematic, scientific manner and also assist them in developing their marketing approach.
- Capacity Building: It is involved actively in capacity building of the tribal people through sensitization and the formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- ‘Van Dhan Yojana’: Trifed’s ‘Van Dhan Yojana’ seeks to shift tribal economy from supply of raw materials to value-added processing of these materials.
- Tech for Tribals: It aims at the holistic development of tribals with a focus on entrepreneurship development, soft skills, IT, and business development through self help groups (SHGs) operating through Van Dhan Vikas Kendras (VDVKs).
- Sankalp Se Siddhi – Mission Van Dhan: TRIFED plans to expand its operations through convergence of various schemes of different Ministries and Departments and launch the various tribal development programs.