Daily Current Affairs for 08 June 2023
Sustainable Green Airports Mission
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has taken a significant step towards sustainability and carbon neutrality with the launch of its publication, “Sustainable Green Airports Mission.”
- The booklet was unveiled by Jyotiraditya Scindia, the Union Minister of Civil Aviation, on World Environment Day.
- The publication highlights the various initiatives undertaken by AAI to promote sustainable practices and reduce its carbon footprint
Genetically Engineered Cotton Hybrids
- The approval and implementation of biosafety research trials (BRL) for genetically engineered (GE) cotton hybrids have become a topic of controversy in various states of India.
- The Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) recently held its 149th meeting, where the approvals and refusals of certain states were discussed.
$95 Million Undersea Cable Connection Project in Micronesia
- Japan, the United States, and Australia have recently announced their joint venture in signing a significant undersea cable project.
- This initiative aims to improve network connectivity in the Indo-Pacific region, while also countering China’s expanding influence
- A significant event has unfolded in southern Ukraine, where the Kakhovka Dam on the Dnipro River, separating Russian and Ukrainian forces, was breached
Mizoram Government’s High-Level Committee on Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs)
- The Mizoram government has taken a significant step towards addressing the challenges faced by Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) from Manipur.
- Under the leadership of Lalchamliana, the High-Level Committee on IDPs has been established.
- Additionally, an executive committee has been formed to implement decisions related to the IDPs.
- These initiatives aim to provide relief and humanitarian assistance to those affected by ethnic clashes.
Muthamizh Selvi, first Tamil Nadu woman to scale Mt Everest
- Udhayanidhi Stalin, the Tamil Nadu Minister for Sports Development and Youth Welfare, honored a remarkable climber, N Muthamizh Selvi, who achieved a significant feat by becoming the first woman from Tamil Naduto climb Mount Everest.
RBI Monetary Policy June 2023: All Important Highlights
- The RBI Monetary Policy meetingis held for June 2023. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI)declared its second instance of maintaining the interest rates at the same level, indicating successful outcomes from RBI monetary policy measures.
- RBI Governor Shaktikanta Dasannounced that the repo rate would remain unchanged at 6.5%.
- He further stated that India’s Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation has decreased in recent months, and the GDP forecast for the current fiscal year remains unchanged.
PM-KUSUM Scheme: Centre Explores Agri Infra Fund for Solar Projects on Farm Lands
- The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthan Mahabhiyan (PM-KUSUM) Scheme, launched in 2019, aims to enhance energy security for farmers in India and promote the use of clean energy in the agriculture sector.
- The scheme seeks to achieve India’s commitment to increasing the share of non-fossil fuel sources in the country’s installed capacity of electric power.
- In a bid to boost the implementation of solar projects on agricultural lands, the central government is considering linking thePM-KUSUM schemewith the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund (AIF).
- This move aims to provide farmers with access to cheaper loans for setting up solar projects and procuring equipment.
World Oceans Day 2023: Date, Theme, Significance and History
- World Oceans Day,observed annually on June 8th,serves as a global reminder of the crucial role oceans play in sustaining life on Earth.
- Recognized by the United Nations, this day promotes ocean awareness and encourages people worldwide to take action towards protecting our marine environments.
- By amplifying the significance of the world’s oceans, we hope to inspire individuals, communities, and governments to work together for a more sustainable future.