Context: The Indian Navy test-fired an indigenously designed and developed heavyweight torpedo, Varunastra, with a live warhead against an undersea target.
Image Source: Hindustan TimesAbout Varunastra:
- It is a ship-launched anti-submarine torpedo.
- It was designed and developed by the Naval Science and Technological Laboratory in Visakhapatnam under the Defence Research and Development Organisation.
- It will become the mainstay of anti-submarine torpedoes for all Naval warships.
- It will replace the older torpedoes on all naval ships that can fire a heavyweight torpedo.
- Acoustic homing with wide look angle capable of tracking silent targets
- ACCM features and multiple signal tracking systems
- Autonomous advanced guidance algorithms
- Low drift navigational systems over long endurance