Context: A tomb-like structure was accidentally discovered in the Siri Fort area while the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) was carrying out renovation work at the Siri Fort Children’s Park. About Siri Fort:
Source: Indian Express
- Siri Fort was built in the 13th Century by Alauddin Khilji- ruler of the Khilji dynasty.
- It was used as a garrison town where his army used to reside.
- Hauz Khas village was an extension of the fort, which was designed to meet the water needs of the army.
- The main motive behind building the Khilji Fort was to save the Delhi sultanate from the attacks of Mongols.
- The fort is currently in ruins and the only structure that remains is its boundary walls.
Archaeological Survey of India