Daily Current Affairs for 13 June 2023
Insurers directed by IRDAI to establish ABHA IDs for policy seekers
- The insurance regulator of India has recently released a directive to all insurers operating in the country to establish unique 14-digit identifiers, known as Ayushman Bharat Health Account(ABHA) IDs, for all individuals residing within India.
- This new rule applies to both fresh insurance applicants and established policyholders
Sarbananda Sonowal launches ‘SAGAR SAMRIDDHI’
- The Union Minister of Ports,Shipping and Waterways, Sarbananda Sonowal, launched the ‘Sagar Samriddhi’ online dredging monitoring system as part of the ‘Waste to Wealth’ initiative of the ministry.
- The National Technology Centre for Ports, Waterways and Coasts (NTCPWC) developed the system, which replaces the old Draft and Loading Monitor system and offers improved efficiency and transparency
INS Trishul celebrates Gandhi’s ‘Satyagraha’ in Durban
- The INS Trishul,a leading battleship of the Indian Navy, sailed to Durban port in South Africa to observe the 130th anniversary of an event that happened on 7 June 1893 at the Pietermaritzburg railway station.
- The event marked the eviction of Mahatma Gandhi from a train, which further prompted his fight against discrimination.
Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi dies at 86
- Silvio Berlusconi,the billionaire media mogul who served asItalian prime minister multiple times between 1994 and 2011, has died.
- He was 86. Berlusconi’s extensive political career included appointments as Italian prime minister from 1994 to 1995, 2001 to 2006 and 2008 to 2011.
- He worked as a member of the European Parliament since 2019, where he also served from 1999 to 2001.
- His Forza Italia party is currently a junior partner in Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s ruling right-wing coalition
G20 SAI Summit Starts in Goa
- The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG)of India, Shri Girish Chandra Murmu, holds the position of Chair of the Supreme Audit Institutions-20 (SAI20) Engagement Group during India’s G20 Presidency.
- The SAI20 Summit is scheduled to take place in Goa from 12th to 14th June 2023, and will be attended by delegates from SAI20 member SAIs of G20 countries, Guest SAIs, Invited SAIs, International Organizations, Engagement Groups, and other invitees. Sixteen countries will be participating in-person
The Withdrawal of ₹2000 Notes in India: What You Need To Know
- On May 19, 2023, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced the withdrawal of ₹2000 currency notesfrom circulation as part of its Clean Note Policy.
- Unlike the previous note ban, the government has allowed ample time for the public to deposit these notes with banks.
- This article highlights the reasons for the withdrawal, the process of exchanging or depositing ₹2000 notes, the exchange limit, the impact on the economy, and provides an overview of demonetization and legal tender in India
Semiconductor Incentive Scheme: Promoting Semiconductor Manufacturing
- The Indian central government announced on May 31 that it will start accepting applications from June 1 onwards for the establishment of semiconductorand display fabrication units in Indiaas part of the ‘Modified Semicon India Programme’.
- This program will be open for applications until December 2024. This decision was made following a Bloomberg report stating that the government has chosen not to extend incentives for the proposed 28-nanometer semiconductor manufacturing facility by Vedanta-Foxconndue to the joint venture’s failure in meeting the requirements of securing a technology partner.
- However, Vedanta chief Anil Agarwal has denied this claim
FIFA U20 World Cup 2023: Uruguay beat Italy 1-0
- Uruguaybeat Italy1-0 to win its first Under-20 World Cup title held in Argentina. The Celeste’s victory ends a streak of four consecutive wins of European teams in the tournament.
- Luciano Rodríguez scored the winning goal in the 86th minute in a header from close range.
- More than 40,000 people, mostly cheering for Uruguay, attended the match at the Diego Maradona Stadium. FIFA President Gianni Infantino was also present.
- France finished third, defeating South Korea 3-2 in the third-place playoff.
International Albinism Awareness Day 2023: Date, Theme, and History
- International Albinism Awareness Dayis observed annually on13th June to create awareness about a genetic skin condition called Albinism, and promote the rights and regulations of Albinism on a global level.
- The day is recognized to put an end to the misconceptions and stereotypes related to this condition, and also encourage the inclusion of people suffering from Albinism in all aspects of society without any discrimination