Context: The Ernakulam District Kudumbashree Mission is set to roll out ‘Dheeram’, a project aimed at imparting martial arts based self defence training to women, at two gender resource centres. About Dheeram Project:
- Two women master trainers will impart training to 30 women aged between 18 and 35 years.
- 200 hour training will be imparted to the women across a year.
- The idea is to instil self confidence among women.
- The women will also have the opportunity to offer martial arts training under the Kudumbashree Mission thus turning their skills into an income generation source.
- Kudumbashree is the poverty eradication and women empowerment programme implemented by the State Poverty Eradication Mission (SPEM) of the Government of Kerala set up in 1997.
- The name Kudumbashree in Malayalam language means ‘prosperity of the family’.
- The name represents ‘Kudumbashree Mission’ or SPEM as well as the Kudumbashree Community Network.
- Its formation was in the context of the devolution of powers to the Panchayat Raj Institutions (PRIs) in Kerala.
- In 2011, the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD), Government of India recognised Kudumbashree as the State Rural Livelihoods Mission (SRLM) under the National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM).