Context: Recently, the Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas, announced that the E-20 version of petrol will soon be available at oil marketing companies (OMCs) nationwide. About E-20 Fuel:
- E20 fuel refers to a blend of gasoline (petrol) and ethanol, with ethanol making up 20% of the fuel mixture.
- Environmental Benefits: E20 fuel contains a higher percentage of ethanol compared to traditional gasoline, which results in lower greenhouse gas emissions.
- Renewable Energy Source: Ethanol, derived from renewable sources such as corn, sugarcane, or cellulosic biomass, is a sustainable alternative to fossil fuels.
- Domestic production and energy security: Ethanol can be produced domestically, reducing reliance on imported oil and enhancing energy security.
- Flexibility with Compatible Vehicles: E20 fuel is suitable for use in flex-fuel vehicles (FFVs), which are designed to run on various ethanol-gasoline blends.