Daily Current Affairs for 19 June 2023
Kamala Sohonie: Pioneering Scientist and Advocate for Women in Science
- Kamala Sohonie, born on June 18, 1911, in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, was a trailblazing Indian scientist.
- She became the first Indian woman to earn a Ph.D. degree in a scientific discipline.
- Despite facing gender bias within the scientific community, including opposition from Nobel laureate CV Raman, Sohonie persevered and made significant contributions to the field of biochemistry.
Gita Press Receives Gandhi Peace Prize for 2021
- The Ministry of Culture recently announced that the Gandhi Peace Prize for 2021 will be conferred upon Gita Press, Gorakhpur.
- This prestigious award recognizes Gita Press’ exceptional contribution to social, economic, and political transformation through non-violent and other Gandhian methods.
- Instituted by the government in 1995 as a tribute to Mahatma Gandhi’s ideals, the Gandhi Peace Prize has been bestowed upon various individuals and organizations for their outstanding efforts.
Japan’s LGBT Understanding Bill
- Japan’s recent passing of a bill to promote understanding of the LGBT community has stirred both hope and criticism.
- As the only G7 country lacking legal protection for same-sex unions, Japan’s legislation has faced scrutiny for its perceived shortcomings.
PM Modi’s USA Visit: From Yoga Day to USA Congress Address
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’supcoming visit to the United States from June 21 to June 24 is one of the most important diplomatic visits of 2023, highlighting the significance of India’s geopolitical role.
- The packed schedule of PM Modi’s visit includes various engagements in New York and Washington, where he will meet with world leaders, address the US Congress, and interact with the Indian diaspora.
Ordinance to Amend Maharashtra Cooperative Societies Act, 1960
- On June 7, an ordinance amending the Maharashtra Cooperative Societies Act was signed, bringing about significant changes in the categorization of members.
- The amendment seeks to differentiate between “active” and “non-active” members, with implications for their rights and participation within cooperative societies.
India’s overall exports in May 2023 stands at US$ 60.29 Billion
- India’s overall exportsin May 2023 stood at US$60.29 billion, comprising both merchandise and services.
- While there was a decline in exports compared to the same period last year, several sectors demonstrated positive growth.
- The trade deficit for April-May 2023 also improved significantly, indicating a positive trend in India’s trade performance.
Centre forms expert committee to suggest reforms to arbitration law
- The Indian government, through the Department of Legal Affairs, has taken a significant step towards improving the arbitration process by forming an expert committee.
- Led by former law secretary T K Vishwanathan, the committee aims to recommend reforms to the Arbitration and Conciliation Act of 1996.
- With a focus on reducing court intervention, enhancing cost-effectiveness, and ensuring timely resolution, the committee is expected to submit its recommendations within 30 days.
India Infrastructure Project Development Funding Scheme
- The Infrastructure Finance Secretariat (IFS)is continuously introducing measures to encourage private investment in infrastructure.
- To support this objective, the IFS has redesigned its website, www.pppinindia.gov.in, to provide greater value to stakeholders involved in Public Private Partnership (PPP)
Sustainable Gastronomy Day:
- Sustainable Gastronomy Daywhich takes place onJune 18 every year, highlights the important role that food plays in promoting sustainable development and the crucial choices about what we eat.
- According to the United Nations, gastronomy is sometimes called the art of food. It also refers to a style of cooking from a particular region.
International Father’s Day 2023:
- Father’s Dayis a celebration of fathers and fatherhood.
- It is celebrated on thethird Sunday of June in many countries around the world, including the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
- The day is a time to honour fathers, grandfathers, and other male role models who have made a significant impact in the lives of their children.
- This year Father’s Day held on 18th June.