Context: India gifted the indigenously built in service missile corvette INS Kirpan to Vietnam to enhance its naval capabilities. About INS Kirpan:
- INS Kirpan is a Khukri class missile corvette displacing 1,350 tonnes and was commissioned into the Navy in 1991.
- A corvette is a small fast warship that is used to protect other ships from attack.
- It has a displacement of close to 1,400 tonnes, a length of 91 metres, a beam of 11 metres and is capable of speed in excess of 25 knots.
- The ship is fitted with a medium range gun, 30 mm close range guns, chaff launchers and surface-to-surface missiles.
- It has been designed with multi-purpose capabilities, including anti-ship warfare, anti-submarine warfare, and patrol missions.