Ocean Ring of Yoga
Context: The Indian Navy is celebrating International Day of Yoga on 21st June by creating the Ocean Ring of Yoga in the Indian Ocean.
- The UN proclaimed June 21 as the International Day of Yoga (IDY) by passing a resolution in 2014 during the 69th session of the General Assembly.
Image Source: PIB
- The Ministry of AYUSH has planned an event ‘Ocean Ring of Yoga’ (symbolising unity and solidarity) in coordination with the Ministry of Defence and other ministries.
- In support of the IDY-23 initiative, Indian Navy ships deployed in the Indian Ocean Region are visiting various ports of friendly foreign countries and spreading the message of ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’ which is also the theme for IDY 23.
- As part of IDY 23 Ocean Ring of Yoga, nearly 3500 naval personnel onboard 19 Indian Naval ships have travelled over 35,000 Km as ambassadors of Yoga in both national and international waters.
- The activities by the Indian Naval ships at foreign ports are planned to involve the ship’s crew and personnel from the host country and would be focused on the ‘Common Yoga Protocol’ (CYP), to increase awareness about yoga on an international scale.