Daily Current Affairs for 23 June 2023
BIS Standards for Biodegradable Agri By-Product Utensils
- The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has introduced a significant standard, IS 18267: 2023, for food serving utensils made from agri by-products.
- This standard aims to reduce plastic pollution, promote sustainability, and bring numerous benefits to various stakeholders
Unusual Behavior of Western Disturbances in India
- In recent years, western disturbances, cyclonic storms originating from the Mediterranean region, have been exhibiting unusual behavior in India.
- Western disturbances have been displaying unusual behavior in India for at least three years.
- These cyclonic storms travel an astonishing distance of over 9,000 km to bring winter rains to northwest India.
- However, since 2019, winter rainfall across the country has witnessed a predominantly dry trend, leading to concerns for the agricultural sector
Summit on New Global Financial Pact
- France is taking the lead in hosting the Summit for a New Global Financing Pact on 22 and 23 June 2023.
- With over 300 high-level participants, including Heads of State and Government, international organizations, and representatives of civil society and the private sector, this summit aims to collectively address crucial challenges such as fighting inequalities, climate change, and protecting biodiversity.
- Here are the details of the gifts exchanged between PM Modi and President Biden.
Unity Mall in Dimapur
- The Central government has allocated ₹145 crore to Nagaland for the construction of a Unity Mall in Dimapur.
- The Unity Mall aims to promote and showcase the state’s One District One Product (ODOP) offerings.
- This substantial funding forms a crucial component of the Union Budget 2023-24, which has allocated ₹5,000 crore for the establishment of Unity Malls nationwide.
- The declaration took place at an ODOP Sampark event, jointly organized by the Department for the Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Invest India, and the Department of Industries and Commerce in Nagaland.
Himachal partners with NDDB to set up milk processing unit
- In a significant move to boost the dairy industry, the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh recently announced the establishment of a state-of-the-art milk processing plant in collaboration with theNational Dairy Development Board(NDDB).
- With an estimated cost of Rs 250 crore, this ambitious project aims to revolutionize milk production and processing in the region.
- The venture is expected to bring substantial economic and social benefits to the state while enhancing its position in the dairy sector.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
India Joins NASA’s Artemis Accords for Collaborative Lunar Exploration
- Prime Minister Narendra Modisigned the Artemis Accords during his state visit to the United States, marking India’s commitment to global space cooperation and lunar exploration.
- The accords, initiated by NASA and the US Department of State, provide a framework for collaboration in civil space exploration and use, with a focus on returning humans to the Moon and expanding space exploration to Mars and beyond.
The Link between Earthquakes and Cosmic Radiation
- Scientists from the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Polish Academy of Sciences (IFJ PAN) in Krakow, Poland, have made a significant discovery regarding the correlation between earthquakes and changes in cosmic radiation intensity.
Fitch Raises India’s GDP Forecast to 6.3% for FY24, Citing Strong Economic Momentum
- Ratings agency Fitchhas revised its GDP forecast for India, predicting a growth rate of 6.3% for the financial year 2023-24 (FY24).
- This upward revision from the previous projection of 6% comes as a result of the country’s near-term momentum and a robust performance in the first quarter.
- Fitch highlights the broad-based strength of India’s economy, citing various positive indicators such as a 6.1% year-on-year GDP growth in the first quarter, resilient auto sales, PMI surveys, and credit growth in recent months.
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) serves as the national-level nodal agency, while state offices of KVIC, State Khadi and Village Industries Boards (KVIBs), and District Industries Centers (DICs) act as implementing agencies.
- Additionally, the Coir Board is responsible for implementing the program in the coir sector.
President of India presents National Florence Nightingale Awards for 2022 and 2023
- On June 22, 2023, the President of India, Droupadi Murmu,bestowed the National Florence Nightingale Awards for the years 2022 and 2023 to nursing professionals during a ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- These prestigious awards were established by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, in 1973 to honor the exceptional contributions made by nurses and nursing professionals to society.
International Widows’ Day 2023
- International Widows Day,observed on June 23,aims to raise awareness about the challenging circumstances faced by countless widows who often find themselves in poverty. In addition to financial difficulties, widows worldwide encounter discrimination and are often denied their rightful inheritance after the death of their husbands.
- This path to self-sufficiency becomes even more daunting when they are responsible for supporting their children.
- As we approach International Widows Day 2023, it is crucial to understand the historical background, significance, and importance of this day.