Bis Introduces Standard for Agri by-Product Utensils
Context: The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has published IS 18267: 2023 “Food Serving Utensils Made from Agri B-Products – Specification,” aimed at reducing plastic pollution and promoting sustainability. About the Standards:
News Source: pib
- The standard provides comprehensive guidelines to manufacturers and consumers, ensuring uniformity in quality requirements across the country.
- Coverage: It covers various aspects, including raw materials, manufacturing techniques, performance, and hygiene requirements for the production of biodegradable utensils.
- Manufacturing Techniques: It specifies the use of agricultural by-products, such as leaves and sheaths, as preferred materials for making plates, cups, bowls, and more.
- It recommends appropriate parts of plants and trees and provides manufacturing techniques like hot pressing, cold pressing, moulding, and stitching.
- Design and Safety Features: It also emphasizes smooth surfaces, non-sharp edges, and prohibits the use of chemicals, resins and adhesives.
| Additional Information:
About Bureau of Indian Standards: