Household Consumption Expenditure Survey
Context: The Maharashtra government has published the State level findings from the National Statistical Office’s 2017-18 Household Consumption Expenditure Survey (HCES).
- The report based on Central sample data is not published by NSO.
- It is a Survey intended to collect information on the consumer spending patterns of households across the country, both urban and rural.
- Frequency of survey: quinquennial (every five years)
- Conducted by: National Sample Survey Office (NSSO)
- Utility of the Survey:
- The data is used for studies on levels of living in India and for the measurement of absolute poverty, including studies on disparities across States and regions, sectors, socio-economic classes etc.
- It helps to arrive at the estimates of household Monthly Per Capita Consumer Expenditure (MPCE) as well as the distribution of households and persons over the MPCE classes.
- It will be used for rebasing the Gross Domestic Product and other macroeconomic indicators such as retail inflation based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
- The last survey was conducted in 2017-18, however the government withheld the results citing quality issues.
- The ongoing 2022-23 survey is expected to conclude by the end of July this year.