Context: A 2023 survey by Thales Cloud Security revealed that in India, 68% of businesses consider more than 40% of their cloud-stored data as sensitive.
- Additionally, 35% of Indian organizations reported data breaches in the cloud environment last year.
- Cloud storage is a method of storing digital data on off-site servers.
- Need for Cloud Storage:
- Companies use it to avoid the costs and maintenance of operating their own data centers.
- Cloud storage offers scalability and security features such as physical security, encryption, and access management.
- Incompatible systems: Deploying legacy IT systems that are not compatible with cloud storage can pose challenges in data integration and security.
- Third-party architecture: Relying on third-party providers for data storage introduces risks if their architecture or security measures are not up to standards.
- Weak authentication: The use of weak authentication practices and easily guessable passwords can lead to unauthorised access to sensitive data.
- Insecure APIs: Vulnerabilities in Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) used for accessing and managing cloud storage can expose data to unauthorised access or manipulation.
- Inadequate security controls: Poorly designed or inadequate security controls can leave data vulnerable to breaches or unauthorised access.
- Internal threats: Human error within an organisation can result in accidental exposure or mishandling of data stored in the cloud.
- Change passwords: In response to data breaches, users are advised to change their passwords. This helps protect their accounts from unauthorised access.
- Enable two-factor authentication (2FA): Setting up 2FA adds an extra layer of security by requiring a secondary form of verification, reducing the risk of unauthorised access.
- Monitor accounts: Users should regularly monitor their accounts for any suspicious activity or unauthorised transactions. This helps identify potential security breaches or fraudulent actions.
- Be cautious of suspicious activity: Users should be vigilant and watch out for any suspicious SMS messages or emails that may indicate phishing scams or unauthorised access attempts.