|Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill 2019:
- The Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill, 2019 provides for reorganisation of the state of Jammu and Kashmir into the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir and Union Territory of Ladakh.
- The Bill provides for a Legislative Assembly for the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir. The total number of seats in the Assembly will be 107.
- Of these, 24 seats will remain vacant on account of certain areas of Jammu and Kashmir being under the occupation of Pakistan.
- Further, seats will be reserved in the Assembly for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in proportion to their population in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- In addition, the Lieutenant Governor may nominate two members to the Legislative Assembly to give representation to women, if they are not adequately represented.
- The Assembly will have a term of five years, and the Lieutenant Governor must summon the Assembly at least once in six months.
- The Legislative Assembly may make laws for any part of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir related to:
- Any matters specified in the State List of the Constitution, except “Police” and “Public Order”, and
- Any matter in the Concurrent List applicable to Union Territories.
- Further, Parliament will have the power to make laws in relation to any matter for the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.