Atmosphere & Climate Research-Modelling Observing Systems & Services (ACROSS) Scheme
Context: Recently, the Minister of Earth Sciences provided information on the ACROSS scheme in Lok Sabha. About ACROSS Scheme:
News Source: PIB
- It is a central sector scheme under the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) for atmospheric science programs.
- Aims: To address various aspects related to weather and climate prediction through a comprehensive approach.
- Each of these aspects is incorporated as eight sub-schemes under the umbrella scheme “ACROSS”.
- Each sub-scheme focuses on a specific aspect of atmospheric science and is implemented by different institutions under MoES.
- Implementing Institutions:
- India Meteorological Department (IMD)
- National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF)
- Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM)
- Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS)
- Improved accuracy and reliability of weather and climate forecasts.
- Enhanced disaster preparedness and response capabilities.
- Facilitation of sustainable development through better climate information.
- Beneficial for various sectors, including agriculture, transportation, and disaster management.
|Progress under ACROSS Scheme||Details|
|Advanced Weather Prediction Models||
|Air Quality Early Warning System||
|Meteorological Data Receiving & Processing||
|Lightning Location Network||
|Earth System Model (ESM)||