Biodiversity Heritage Sites (BHS)
The Government of Odisha has notiﬁed three Biodiversity Heritage Sites (BHS) i.e. Mandasaru Hills, Mahendragiri Hills and Gandhamardan Hills.
About Biodiversity Heritage Sites:
- The ‘Biodiversity Heritage Sites’ are unique ecosystems having rich biodiversity comprising of any one or more of the following components:
- Richness of wild as well as domesticated species or intra-specific categories.
- High endemism.
- Presence of rare and threatened species, keystone species, species of evolutionary significance.
- Wild ancestors of domestic/cultivated species or their varieties.
- Under Section-37 of the Biological Diversity Act, 2002, the State Government, in consultation with local bodies, may notify areas of biodiversity importance as BHS.
News Source: PIB