Context: The Union Minister for Power and New & Renewable Energy has informed about the status of implementation and coverage of the SAUBHAGYA Scheme in the country. About Saubhagya (Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana) Scheme:
- It was launched in October, 2017 focusing on last mile connectivity and electricity connections to all the unelectrified households in the country.
- It is a concurrent program to Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti.
- Provide last mile connectivity and electricity connection to all un-electrified households in rural areas;
- Extend electricity connection to all remaining economically poor un electrified households in urban areas. Non-poor urban households are excluded from this scheme.
- Implement Solar Photovoltaic (SPV) based standalone system for un-electrified households located in remote and inaccessible villages/habitations, where grid extension is not feasible or cost effective.
- Free metered connection for economically poor households and a charge of Rs. 500 (adjusted in electricity bills in 10 monthly instalments) for households other than poor, only after release of connection.
- Establishing camps in villages/ cluster of villages for on spot registration
- Use of Mobile App for identification of beneficiaries and electronic registration including requisite documentation
- Web based near real-time monitoring and updating of progress
- Flexibility to States in mode of implementation