Daily Current Affairs for 03 May 2023
India’s First Dark Sky Reserve
- India’s first ‘dark sky reserve’ in Ladakh’s Hanle village is now ready and will be opened for the public soon.
- Spread over 1,073 sq km across a cluster of six hamlets in the Hanle cold desert region at an elevation of 4,500 metres above sea level, the reserve is among a few of its kind in the world
that will offer a spectacular vie w of the night sky.
- Meanwhile, work is on in full swing to develop Benital in Uttarakhand as the first ‘astro village’ of India.
- Located at an altitude of 2,600 metres above sea level, Benital, with its low light pollution and
minimal human activity, offers an undisturbed view of the night sky, making it an ideal
location for a dark sky park.
- The department has estimated a total expense of Rs 5 crore for the project and submitted a
report to the administration.
- It has entrusted the Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam with the responsibility of developing Benital
as an astro-village.
Telangana Government Launches Agri Innovation Challenge
- The Telangana Government has launched a Grand Challenge for Innovation to promote innovation in the food processing sector.
- Telangana Agriculture Minister S Niranjan launched the Challenge at the inaugural of the
Food Conclave 2023.
- The Telangana government is organising a Food Conclave-2023 here on April 29, 2023
focussing on the opportunities in Green, White, Yellow, Blue, and Pink revolutions.
- The theme of the conclave is “Envisioning India’s Decade in the Agri-Food Sector.”
- The maiden event will have events around 5 themes — Agriculture (Green), Edible Oil (Yellow), Dairy (White), Meat and Poultry (Pink), and Aquaculture (Blue).
- The government has roped in the World Economic Forum (India), Indian Vegetable Oil
Producers Association (IVPA), Indian Dairy Association, Heifer International, and Society of Aquaculture Professionals to hold the panel discussions.
WYLD, World’s 1st Social Currency Payment Card Launched
- WYLD, the world’s first social currency payment card has launched in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- It is powered by Visa, the platform will allow everyday social media users to leverage their
Instagram following to earn massive cashbacks on everyday spends.
- The startup raised $350,000 in pre-seed funding, led by Better Capital.
- Currently, the platform is invite-only, and open to the first 5,000 users on their waitlist of 10,000 potential customers, for their beta-testing phase.
- WYLD is a Fintech and Martech mobile app and payment card, riding on the idea that nano and micro social media users are the true disruptors of this market.
- The app lets anyone with over 1000 followers on Instagram and a ‘WYLD Score’ of over 100, to
apply for the WYLD payment card.
SBI General Insurance Launches Health Edge Insurance Plan
- SBI General Insurance has launched a new digital-only health product, Health Edge Insurance, where starting premium is less than Rs 5,500 per annum for a Rs 3 lakhs cover.
- Entry age: 18-65 years (Adults), and 91 days to 30 years (Children)
- Multiple Sum Insured ranges from INR 3 Lacs to 25 lakhs
- Long-term Policy options are available for up to 3 years
- The Health Edge plan includes 9 in-built covers; hospitalization, pre-hospitalization medical expenses, post-hospitalization medical expenses, day-care treatment, emergency road ambulance cover, bariatric surgery cover, modern treatment/ advance procedures, AYUSH treatment, and stay-fit health checkup.
UIDAI and NPCI Plan to Set Up an e-KYC Aggregator
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) are planning to set up an aggregator platform for e-KYC (electronic know yourcustomer).
- Aadhaar-based e-KYC is used for paperless verification of a customer’s credentials for new mobile connections and bank accounts.
- It will enable the registration of entities regulated by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) or any insurance and pension regulators.
- Once implemented, the platform is expected to help several non-banking finance companies
(NBFCs) reach out to consumers to offer loans apart from aiding fintech players and insurance
- UIDAI is a statutory authority established under the provisions of the Aadhaar (Targeted
Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016.
ISSF Shotgun World Cup
- Shooters Mairaj Ahmad Khan and Ganemat Sekhon won India its first medal in the ongoing International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Shotgun World Cup in Cairo, Egypt.
- They won the gold medal by defeating Mexicans Luis Raul Gallardo Oliveros and Gabriela
Rodriguez 6-0 in the skeet mixed team event.
- Italy took bronze through their crack pair of two-time world championship silver medallist Simona Scocchetti and Rio Olympic champion Gabrielle Rossetti.
- Olympian Meraj Ahmad Khan shot 74/75 in the qualifying round to win his 5th Senior ISSF
World Cup medal.
Odisha Extends Indian Hockey Team Sponsorship Till 2033
- The Odisha government decided to further extend its sponsorship for both the Men and Women Indian Hockey Teams (senior and junior) for another ten years from 2023 to 2033.
- The decision in this regard was taken at the Cabinet meeting chaired by chief minister Naveen
- The cabinet on the day approved 15 different proposals submitted by various departments.
- As Odisha has been the official sponsor of both the Men and Women National Hockey Teams
since 2018, this support is going to be a significant step towards the growth and development of Hockey in India
- OMC has now committed to sponsor both the teams till January 31, 2033 and a total amount of ₹12 crores (excluding applicable taxes) will be released by OMC to Hockey India during this
AWARDS & PRIZES
Leipzig Book Prize 2023
- Maria Stepanova, a Russian author has won the prestigious Leipzig Book Prize for European
Understanding in 2023.
- Stepanova’s novel, In Memory of Memory, which explores themes of Stalinism and the collapse of the Soviet Union, has earned her a nomination for the Booker Prize in 2021.
- The Leipzig Book Prize was awarded to Stepanova for her poetry collection ‘Girls Without
Clothes’, which sensitively addresses the issue of power dynamics that fuel violence and
oppression against women.
- The Leipzig Book Prize has been presented since 1994 for “Progress of Reconciliation” in
- The prize aims to promote greater understanding between European cultures by recognizing outstanding works of fiction, non-fiction and poetry that contribute to this goal.
BAFTA TV Fellowship
- Meera Syal will be honored at the BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts)
Television Awards on May 14 at the Royal Festival Hall.
- It is the highest honor given to an individual for outstanding and extraordinary contribution in the field of film, sports or television.
- Sanya is best known for her performances in ‘Goodness Gracious Me’ and ‘The Kumars at No
- As part of the fellowship, she will inspire and support interested candidates through BAFTA’s year-long programmes.
- Her work has garnered several BAFTA nominations and wins.
- Syal has been awarded the Women in Film and TV Award for Creative Innovation, Honorary
Doctorates from SOS, Manchester and Birmingham Universities.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission
- Ajit Kumar Mohanty has been appointed as the new Chairman of the Atomic Energy
Commission and Secretary, Department of Atomic Energy.
- Mohanty is a renowned physicist and is currently serving as the Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Center (BARC).
- He will be responsible for overseeing India’s nuclear program and exploring the use of nuclear energy for non-military purposes.
- Mohanty will replace KN Vyas.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Mohanty till the age of 66 years or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
Maiden ASEAN-India Maritime Exercise
- The first ASEAN-India Maritime Exercise (AIME-2023) began on 02 May 2023 in Singapore.
- The maiden exercise is being conducted off the coast of Singapore.
- It aims to enhance interoperability and exchange of best practices among the participating navies.
- INS Satpura and INS Delhi, accompanied by RADM Gurcharan Singh, Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet, have reached Singapore to participate in the exercise.
- AIME 2023 will provide an opportunity for Indian Navy and ASEAN navies to work together
closely and conduct seamless operations in the maritime domain.
- Indian Navy ships will also participate in the International Maritime Security Conference
(IMSC) and the International Maritime Defense Exhibition (IMDEX-23).