Daily Current Affairs for 10th May 2023
Bharat EMart Portal
- India Post, Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT), and Tripta Technologies have created the ‘Bharat eMart’ portal, which will provide pick-up and delivery services of consignments to traders across India.
- The MoU was signed in Delhi on recently in the presence of Minister of State for Communications, Devusinh Chauhan.
India’s First Pod Taxi
- The Yamuna Authority recently gave its nod to India’s first pod taxi project.
- The Personalised Rapid Transit project, an advanced mode of transportation, will be automated and environment-friendly.
Thalassemia Bal Sewa Yojana
- Coal India Limited (CIL) has been supporting the Thalassemia Bal Sewa Yojana (TBSY) initiative as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative.
- Recently, the third phase of the TBSY was launched to commemorate World Thalassemia Day.
- Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare launched the third phase of TBSY, and the Thalassemia Bal Sewa Yojana Portal, in the presence of several dignitaries, including the Union Health Secretary and Secretary of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
MiG-21 Jet in India – An Overview
- The MiG-21 is among the six fighter jets flown by the Indian Air Force (IAF) and has been the backbone of the force for a long time.
- The MiG-21 is a fighter aircraft that is capable of performing a range of roles and can be used for both air-to-air and ground attacks.
- It has a single engine and can seat only one person.
- It was first inducted into the IAF in 1963 as an interceptor aircraft and was later upgraded to perform various roles, including ground attack.
- Over 700 MiG-21 aircraft of different variants have been procured by India since then, with the latest variant being the MiG-21 Bison.
- Over 100 MiG-21s with the IAF have been upgraded to Bison since 2006.
Pakistan’s economic crisis: Hajj quota given up to Saudi Arabia
- For the first time in 75 years, Pakistanhas made the decision to surrender its Hajj quotato Saudi Arabia.
- This move was prompted by the rising inflation in the country, which has caused thousands of Pakistanis to forgo the pilgrimage this year.
- In total, Pakistanhas returned 8,000 unused seats, which will save the government a considerable amount of money totalling $24 million.
Sri Lanka Supreme Court clears way to decriminalise homosexuality
- The Supreme Courtof Sri Lankahas approved a bill seeking to decriminalize homosexuality, according to the Speaker of Parliament, in a move welcomed by LGBTQ+ rights campaigners.
- Under current laws, homosexualityis punishable by imprisonment and fines, but activists have long campaigned for change.
- After hearing submissions from both sides, the Supreme Courtruled that the proposed legislation was not unconstitutional.
Kerala Travel Mart (KTM)
- The second edition of the Kerala Travel Mart (KTM), a flagship event of Kerala’s tourism apex forum KTM Society, will be held virtually from May 9 to May 12.
- The aim of this event is to reach out to trade partners, stakeholders, and tourists worldwide.
- The event was launched for the first time in 2021 to leverage digital tools to showcase Kerala’s tourism industry amidst the pandemic.
Swamp Deer Released into Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve (BTR)
- Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve (BTR) is located in Madhya Pradesh’s eastern Satpura hill range of Umaria and Katni districts.
- The name “Bandhavgarh” means “Brother’s Fort” in Hindi and is derived from the mythological story of Lord Rama and his brother Lakshmana.
- It is believed that Lord Rama gave the fort to his brother to keep watch over Lanka, and the fort has since been known as Bandhavgarh.
- This tiger reserve is of vital importance due to its diverse flora and fauna, which includes a healthy population of tigers and various herbivores.
- Recently, several swamp deer were released into this reserve.
Telangana govt launches first of its kind State Robotics Framework
- The Telangana governmentintroduced a new policy known as the State Robotics Framework.
- It is designed to establish a self-sustaining robotics ecosystem and to position the state as a leader in robotics in India.
- The policy aims to provide support for research and development, encourage collaboration between academia and industry, and promote the adoption of robotics technology across various sectors.
- On March 27, a notification was issued by the central government to declare the ancient Tungnath temple as a monument of national importance.
- Tungnath temple, located in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand, is a significant pilgrimage site for Hindus.
- It is the third of the five Panchkedars of Uttarakhand.
India Extends $1 Billion Credit Line to Sri Lanka Amid Economic Crisis
- In the midst of an economic crisis, India has decided to extend a $1 billion credit lineto Sri Lanka for another year, providing the much-needed funds to pay for essential imports.
- The credit line is part of the $4 billion emergency assistance extended by India to Sri Lanka during its peak crisis time last year.
RBI Imposes Rs 1.73 Crore Penalty On HSBC Bank
- he Reserve Bank of India (RBI)imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 1.73 crore on the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd (HSBC Bank)for violating the Credit Information Companies Rules, 2006.
- The RBIstated that during their examination of the Risk Assessment Report and all related correspondences pertaining to the same, it was discovered that the bank had breached the aforementioned rules.
President of India Smt Droupadi Murmu confers 37 Gallantry awards
- On May 09, 2023, the Defence Investiture Ceremony (Phase-1) was held in New Delhi, during which the President of Ind ia,Smt Droupadi Murmu,who is the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, awarded 8 Kirti Chakras and 29 Shaurya Chakras to personnel of the Armed Forces, Central Armed Police Forces, and State/Union Territory Police.
- Five of the Kirti Chakras and five of the Shaurya Chakras were awarded posthumously.
- The gallantry awards were presented to individuals who demonstrated outstanding bravery, unwavering courage, and exceptional devotion to their duties.
- The names of the awardees were listed in the order in which they were presented with their respective awards.
Badminton Asia appoints Omar Rashid as Chair of Technical Officials Committee
- Badminton Asiahas appointed Omar Rashid, the Joint Secretary of the Badminton Association of India (BAI), as the Chair of the Technical Officials Committee.
- Rashid’s vast experience in his previous role with BAI makes him a valuable addition to the committee, ensuring further advancement of badminton in India.
Argentina’s Lionel Messi wins Laureus sportsman of the year 2023
- Lionel Messi,who led Argentina to victory in the 2022 World Cup as their captain, was honored with theLaureus Sportsman of the Year award at a ceremony held in Paris.
- In addition to that, Messi accepted the World Team of the Year award on behalf of the Argentina men’s football team, who won the championship in Qatar.
- Messi also became the first athlete to scoop both the World Sportsman of the Year Award and the World Team of the Year Award in the same year.
International Day of Argania 2023 observed on 10 May
- Every year on May 10, the International Day of Argania or International Day of the Argan Treeis observed to promote awareness and understanding of the argan tree’s environmental importance worldwide.
- This holiday was established by UNESCO in 2021.