Daily Current Affairs for 11th May 2023
Santiniketan in tentative list for UNESCO World Heritage list
- The UNESCO World Heritage Centre has recommended Santiniketan, the cultural site in West Bengal, India, for inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- The International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS), a France-based international non-governmental organization, made the recommendation.
- The ICOMOS is an advisory body to the UNESCO World Heritage Centre, comprising experts, representatives from local authorities, heritage organizations, and companies.
- Union Culture Minister G Kishan Reddyhas expressed hope that the site would be formally inscribed on the World Heritage List in the World Heritage Committee meeting in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, in September 2023.
Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways Launches ‘Harit Sagar’ Green Port Guidelines 2023
- The Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways has launched ‘Harit Sagar’ Green Port Guidelines 2023to achieve its vision of zero carbon emissions.
- The guidelines were launched by Union Minister for Ports, Shipping & Waterways and AYUSH, Shri Sarbananda Sonowal, in the presence of other senior officials of the ministry in New Delhi.
- The guidelines aim to align with the ‘Working with Nature’ concept, minimize the impact on the biotic components of harbor ecosystems, and promote the use of clean/green energy in port operations.
India among seven countries to benefit from Saudi Arabia’s new e-visa system
- Saudi Arabiahas introduced a new e-visa system to replace traditional visa stickers on passports.
- The initiative, which began in May 2023, is aimed at digitizing consular services and creating a new way to issue work, residency, and visit visas in seven countries: Jordan, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Egypt, India, Bangladesh, the Philippines, and Indonesia.
- The move comes as part of efforts to automate consular services and “develop a mechanism for granting different kinds of visas”.
India Extends $1 Billion Credit Line to Sri Lanka Amid Economic Crisis
- In the midst of an economic crisis, India has decided to extend a $1 billion credit lineto Sri Lanka for another year, providing the much-needed funds to pay for essential imports.
- The credit line is part of the $4 billion emergency assistance extended by India to Sri Lanka during its peak crisis time last year.
Telangana govt launches first of its kind State Robotics Framework
- The Telangana governmentintroduced a new policy known as the State Robotics Framework.
- It is designed to establish a self-sustaining robotics ecosystem and to position the state as a leader in robotics in India.
- The policy aims to provide support for research and development, encourage collaboration between academia and industry, and promote the adoption of robotics technology across various sectors.
Swamp Deer Released into Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve (BTR)
- Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve (BTR) is located in Madhya Pradesh’s eastern Satpura hill range of Umaria and Katni districts.
- The name “Bandhavgarh” means “Brother’s Fort” in Hindi and is derived from the mythological story of Lord Rama and his brother Lakshmana.
- It is believed that Lord Rama gave the fort to his brother to keep watch over Lanka, and the fort has since been known as Bandhavgarh.
- This tiger reserve is of vital importance due to its diverse flora and fauna, which includes a healthy population of tigers and various herbivores.
- Recently, several swamp deer were released into this reserve.
Union Finance Minister chairs the 27th Meeting of Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC)
- On May 11, 2023, Union Finance Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharamanchaired the 27th meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) in New Delhi.
- This was the first meeting held after the announcement of the Budget 2023-24.
- The council discussed the policy and legislative reform measures needed to develop the financial sector further and increase financial access for the people.
RBI Imposes Rs 1.73 Crore Penalty On HSBC Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI)imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 1.73 crore on the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd (HSBC Bank)for violating the Credit Information Companies Rules, 2006.
- The RBI stated that during their examination of the Risk Assessment Report and all related correspondences pertaining to the same, it was discovered that the bank had breached the aforementioned rules.
CM Yogi Adityanath honoured Bharat Ratna Dr Ambedkar Award
- Former President of India, Ram Nath Kovind,presented the Bharat Ratna Dr. Ambedkar Awardto Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath for his efforts in creating a fear-free Uttar Pradesh.
- The award ceremony took place at the Shri Shanmukhananda Auditorium in Mumbai, where Dr. Lalji Prasad Nirmal, a member of the UP legislative council, received the award on behalf of the Chief Minister.
- The event was organized by the Buddhanjali Research Foundation and was attended by Ramnath Kovind as the chief guest.
- This was the 13th edition of the award ceremony.
Andy Murray wins victory over Tommy Paul in Aix-en-Provence
- Andy Murray,a Scottish tennis player, has won his first tournament since 2019 by defeatingTommy Paul, the world No. 17, 2-6 6-1 6-2 in the final of the ATP Challenger event in Aix-en-Provence.
- This victory not only marks his first title since Antwerp in 2019 but also his first clay court title since the Rome Masters 1000 in 2016, which boosts his world ranking to No. 42, the highest in five years.
- Despite struggling with form and consistency, Murray has managed to defeat three top-20 players this year, and he aims to continue his winning streak as he prepares for the upcoming French Open, which will start on May 22.
National Technology Day 2023 Observed on 11th May
- Every year on May 11th,India observes National Technology Dayto recognize and honor the remarkable accomplishments and contributions of its scientists, engineers, and technologists in the development of the country.
- This day holds great cultural and historical importance, underscoring India’s dedication to innovation and its quest for technological progress.
- This year’s theme is ‘School to Startups- Igniting Young Minds to Innovate’.