Daily Current Affairs for 12th May 2023
Supreme Court Rules Delhi Government has Control Over IAS and All Services in Delhi except Land, Police, and Law and Order
- In a significant judgment, the Supreme Courthas granted control over all services in the national capital, including the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), to the Delhi government, except for those related to land, police, and law and order.
- The Constitution Bench comprising Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachudand Justices MR Shah, Krishna Murari, Hima Kohli, and PS Narasimha passed a unanimous judgment on the matter.
Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways Launches ‘Harit Sagar’ Green Port Guidelines 2023
- The Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways has launched ‘Harit Sagar’ Green Port Guidelines 2023to achieve its vision of zero carbon emissions.
- The guidelines were launched by Union Minister for Ports, Shipping & Waterways and AYUSH, Shri Sarbananda Sonowal, in the presence of other senior officials of the ministry in New Delhi.
- The guidelines aim to align with the ‘Working with Nature’ concept, minimize the impact on the biotic components of harbor ecosystems, and promote the use of clean/green energy in port operations
India, Canada agree to increase discussions on movement of skilled professionals, students
- India and Canada have agreed to ramp up their discussions on the movement of skilled professionals and students to enhance their bilateral economic partnership.
- This decision was made during the sixth India-Canada Ministerial Dialogue on Trade and Investment, where Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal and his Canadian counterpart Mary Ng reviewed the progress of the seven rounds of negotiations towards an early harvest trade deal.
China and Pakistan agree to extend CPEC to Afghanistan
- Pakistan, China, and Afghanistanhave agreed to enhance their economic relations by extending the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), which is supported by Beijing, to Afghanistan.
- This move aims to fully exploit the potential of Afghanistan as a regional connectivity hub.
Uttar Pradesh introduces “School Health Program” digital health cards for children
- According to a recent statement by the State government of Uttar Pradesh, the Urban Development Department and Lucknow Smart City have collaborated to launch a pilot project called the “School Health Program” in Lucknow.
- The program aims to improve the health of students and has been implemented in three schools as a part of the pilot project
Swamp Deer Released into Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve (BTR)
- Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve (BTR) is located in Madhya Pradesh’s eastern Satpura hill range of Umaria and Katni districts.
- The name “Bandhavgarh” means “Brother’s Fort” in Hindi and is derived from the mythological story of Lord Rama and his brother Lakshmana.
- It is believed that Lord Rama gave the fort to his brother to keep watch over Lanka, and the fort has since been known as Bandhavgarh.
- This tiger reserve is of vital importance due to its diverse flora and fauna, which includes a healthy population of tigers and various herbivores.
- Recently, several swamp deer were released into this reserve
Union Finance Minister chairs the 27th Meeting of Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC)
- On May 11, 2023, Union Finance Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharamanchaired the 27th meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) in New Delhi.
- This was the first meeting held after the announcement of the Budget 2023-24.
- The council discussed the policy and legislative reform measures needed to develop the financial sector further and increase financial access for the people
RBI Imposes Rs 1.73 Crore Penalty On HSBC Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI)imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 1.73 crore on the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd (HSBC Bank)for violating the Credit Information Companies Rules, 2006.
- The RBIstated that during their examination of the Risk Assessment Report and all related correspondences pertaining to the same, it was discovered that the bank had breached the aforementioned rules.
CM Yogi Adityanath honoured Bharat Ratna Dr Ambedkar Award
- Former President of India, Ram Nath Kovind,presented the Bharat Ratna Dr. Ambedkar Awardto Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath for his efforts in creating a fear-free Uttar Pradesh.
- The award ceremony took place at the Shri Shanmukhananda Auditorium in Mumbai, where Dr. Lalji Prasad Nirmal, a member of the UP legislative council, received the award on behalf of the Chief Minister.
- The event was organized by the Buddhanjali Research Foundation and was attended by Ramnath Kovind as the chief guest.
- This was the 13th edition of the award ceremony.
Andy Murray wins victory over Tommy Paul in Aix-en-Provence
- Andy Murray,a Scottish tennis player, has won his first tournament since 2019 by defeatingTommy Paul, the world No. 17, 2-6 6-1 6-2 in the final of the ATP Challenger event in Aix-en-Provence.
- This victory not only marks his first title since Antwerp in 2019 but also his first clay court title since the Rome Masters 1000 in 2016, which boosts his world ranking to No. 42, the highest in five years.
- Despite struggling with form and consistency, Murray has managed to defeat three top-20 players this year, and he aims to continue his winning streak as he prepares for the upcoming French Open, which will start on May 22.
International Day of Plant Health 2023 celebrates on 12th May
- The United Nations designated 12 MaytheInternational Day of Plant Health (IDPH) to raise global awareness on how protecting plant health can help end hunger, reduce poverty, protect biodiversity and the environment, and boost economic development.
- Plants are essential for life on Earth. They provide us with food, oxygen, and shelter.
- They also play a vital role in the environment, helping to regulate the climate and prevent soil erosion.
- However, plants are also vulnerable to pests and diseases. These can cause significant damage to crops, leading to food shortages and economic losses.
- They can also have a negative impact on the environment. International Day of Plant Health is an opportunity to learn more about plant health and the threats it faces.
- It is also a time to take action to protect plants and ensure a sustainable future for our planet.