Daily Current Affairs for 19 May 2023
Dr. L Murugan inaugurates India Pavilion at Marché du Film at 76th Cannes International Film Festival
- The India Pavilion was inaugurated by Union Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting, Dr. L Murugan, at the 76th Cannes International Film Festival in France.
- The pavilion showcases India’s rich culture, heritage, and its thriving creative economy to the global audience.
- The event witnessed the presence of Indian Ambassador to France, Jawed Ashraf, Joint
Secretary in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Prithul Kumar, and prominent figures from the Indian film industry.
Govt shuffles cabinet: Kiren Rijiju exited as Union Law Minister
- Kiren Rijiju has exited as Union Law Minister and will now take up the portfolio of Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- Arjun Ram Meghwal has been assigned the independent charge as
Minister of State in the Ministry of Law and Justice in addition to his existing portfolios.
- Rijiju took over as the Law and Justice Minister on July 8, 2021.
- Prior to this, he served as the Minister of State (Independent Charge) of Youth Affairs and Sports from May 2019 to July 2021.
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh was holding charge of the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
Sri Lanka’s State Owned Enterprise Reform Policy
- Sri Lanka has recently given the green light to the reorganization of its state-owned enterprises, with the goal of enhancing government finances and expediting the country’s economic revival.
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) extended a significant bailout facility of nearly USD 3 billion to assist Sri Lanka in stabilizing its economy following a severe economic crisis.
Benin and Mali Eliminate Trachoma
- Trachoma, a debilitating eye infection caused by the bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis, has been a longstanding public health concern in numerous countries worldwide.
- Recently, Benin and Mali have successfully eliminated trachoma as a public health problem.
UP’s 5G Technology Training Programme
- The Uttar Pradesh government is taking a significant step towards enhancing skill development opportunities by launching a 5G technology training programme under its Skill Development Mission.
- This initiative aims to equip the youth with the necessary skills in new and future employable technologies, recognizing the importance of 5G technology in shaping the telecom sector and the future economy.
YSR Matsyakara Bharosa Scheme
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy has recently released ₹123.52 crore under the YSR Matsyakara Bharosa scheme.
- This initiative aims to provide crucial financial assistance to fishermen and their families during the annual ban period on marine fishing.
Qualified Institutional Buyers
- Securities & Exchange Board of India is taking steps to broaden the scope of qualified institutional buyers (QIBs), aiming to enhance the investor base for issuers of debt securities.
- SEBI’s aim in expanding the definition of QIBs is to diversify the investor base, enabling a wider pool of potential investors for issuers of debt securities.
Ministry of Ayush and Ministry of Health & Family Welfare Collaborate for “Integrative Health” Policy
- The Ministry of Ayush and the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare have jointly announced their commitment to prioritize “Integrative Health” for the well being of the public.
- This announcement was made at the National Ayush Mission Conclave, a two-day event inaugurated by Shri Sarbananda Sonowal, the Union Cabinet Minister of Ayush and Ports, Shipping & Waterways.
- The conclave was attended by esteemed guests, including Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya, the Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare.
- The city of Nagaur in Rajasthan witnessed a significant event on May 14 as Vice-President of India, Jagdeep Dhankhar, unveiled the statue of the late Nathuram Mirdha.
- The ceremony paid homage to the exemplary contributions and achievements of Nathuram Mirdha, a distinguished figure in Indian politics and society.
World AIDS Vaccine Day Or HIV Vaccine Awareness Day 2023
- World AIDS Vaccine Day: May 18 is recognized as World AIDS Vaccine Day, an occasion that emphasizes the importance of creating a vaccine for the incurable illness.
- This day, also known as HIV Vaccine Awareness Day, not only raises awareness but also pays tribute to the dedicated scientists and researchers who are committed to developing a vaccine to prevent HIV/AIDS.
Global Accessibility Awareness Day Celebrates on 18th May
- The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) will be celebrating the Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) on 18th May 2023, with the vision to build an inclusive society in which equal opportunities are provided for the growth and development of Persons with Disabilities so that they can lead productive, safe and dignified lives.
- DEPwD, under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India is
the nodal body to look after all the development agenda of Persons with Disabilities of