Daily Current Affairs for 24 May 2023
Mandatory Testing of Cough Syrup Exports
- In a move to ensure the safety and quality of cough syrups being exported, the Indian government has made it compulsory for cough syrup makers to get their products tested in a government laboratory.
- This decision comes in response to recent incidents involving contaminated cough syrups that were linked to the deaths of children in Gambia and Uzbekistan.
- The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) issued a notification stating that cough syrup exporters must comply with the new testing requirement starting from June 1.
Education Ministry’s Workshop Unifying School Boards for Enhanced Assessment
- The Ministry of Education recently organized a workshop in New Delhi with the objective of unifying school examination boards across different states and union territories.
- The workshop aimed to address the need for a common platform and harmonized practices for school assessments and examinations
- The Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC) is set to make a significant stride in raising awareness and enhancing its ecosystem.
- With the launch of the ONDC Academy next month, the organization aims to develop a robust network of certified sellers, buyers, and logistics partners in the country
Indian Railways Hands Over 20 Broad Gauge Locomotives to Bangladesh
- In a bid to strengthen bilateral relations, Indian Railwayshas handed over 20 broad gauge (BG) locomotives to Bangladesh.
- The virtual handing over ceremony, held at Rail Bhavan, was attended by Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnawand Bangladesh’s Minister of Railway, Md Nurul Islam Sujan.
- This gesture fulfills a commitment made by the Indian government during Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s visit to India in October 2019.
- The locomotives, valued at over Rs 100 crore, will help augment Bangladesh’s railway network and improve passenger and freight train operations
US-Papua New Guinea Defence Agreement
- Antony Blinken, the U.S. Secretary of State, embarked on a visit to Papua New Guinea (PNG), where he signed a significant defence cooperation agreement.
- This visit aimed to enhance cooperation between the United States and Pacific island nations, particularly in light of rising concerns about security ties with China.
- The meeting between Blinken and PNG Prime Minister James Marape covered various crucial topics, including economic development, climate crisis, and U.S. engagement with the Pacific
Maharana Pratap Lok
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan recently announced the construction of Veer Shiromani Maharana Pratap Lok in Bhopal.
- Veer Shiromani Maharana Pratap Lok: A Tribute to Valor The upcoming Veer Shiromani Maharana Pratap Lok in Bhopal will serve as testament to Maharana Pratap’s legacy.
- This memorial aims to depict the various aspects of his life, including his sacrifice, penance, struggle, and gallantry.
- By capturing the essence of his remarkable journey, future generations will be able to appreciate and learn from his endeavors to protect the culture and freedom of his people
Machilipatnam Port Project
- The formal launch of the Machilipatnam port works by Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy marks a significant milestone in the state’s infrastructure development.
- With an estimated cost of ₹5,156 crore, this ambitious project aims to transform Machilipatnam into a thriving port city, fostering economic growth and connectivity
AFSPA in News: Assam CM Aims to Withdraw AFSPA by End of 2023
- AFSPA, which stands for the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, is a controversial legislation in India that grants special powers and immunity to the armed forces deployed in “disturbed areas.”
- It was enacted by the Indian Parliament in 1958 to combat separatist movements and insurgencies in certain regions of the country
NEP SAARTHI and NEP 2020: A Transformative Vision for India’s Education System
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) has introduced a new program called ‘NEP SAARTHI – Student Ambassador for Academic Reforms in Transforming Higher Education in India’ with the aim of involving students in the implementation of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Enhanced Rock Weathering
- As the threat of climate change looms large, scientists and environmentalists are exploring various strategies to combat the rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
- An emerging solution that is receiving recognition involves the process of enhanced rock weathering, which seeks to enlarge the surface interaction between rainwater and rock, thereby enabling more effective removal of carbon
Third Edition of Khelo India Games Kicks Off in Uttar Pradesh
- The highly anticipated third edition of the Khelo India University Games (KIUG)has commenced in Uttar Pradesh, marking a significant milestone in the state’s sporting endeavors.
- With over 4,000 athletes and officials from 207 universities across the country participating in 21 disciplines, the event is set to span 12 action-packed days.
- While the majority of events will take place in five cities of Uttar Pradesh, the shooting competitions will be held in New Delhi
Indian Commonwealth Day 2023 observed on 24th May
- Commonwealth Dayis a worldwide celebration that takes place every year on March 13,although India and certain other countries mark it on May 24.
- The theme for this year’s Commonwealth Day is “Forging a Sustainable and Peaceful Common Future.”
- Commonly known as Empire Day, the occasion aims to bring together 2.5 billion citizens of the Commonwealth to recognize their shared values and principles.
- It also emphasizes the importance of working together towards a sustainable and peaceful future for all