Banking Current Affairs for 24 May 2023
Andhra Pradesh CM Launches Machilipatnam Port Project
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy formally launched the Machilipatnam
port works worth Rs 5,156 crore recently.
- The port, with an initial cargo capacity of 35 million tonnes, will be completed in two years.
- The capacity of the 4-berth deep water port will be increased to 116 million tonnes as cargo
traffic gradually increases.
- The port will help develop Machilipatnam on the lines of developed port cities like Mumbai and Chennai as it will be connected by National Highway 216 and Gudivada Machilipatnam railway line soon.
- This will increase the reach of the port and improve connectivity.
- The project is being implemented by the Machilipatnam Port Development Corporation Limited (MPDCL).
- It will cater to exports of fertilizers, coal, cooking oil, containers, agricultural products,
cement, granite, cement clinker, iron ore from Andhra Pradesh and neighboring Telangana.
76th World Health Assembly
- Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya will represent India in the 76th World Health Assembly at Geneva, Switzerland.
- In line with India’s commitment to a healthier world, the union Health minister will deliver the keynote address at the side events of ‘Heal in India and Heal by India’ as well as ‘Together We Fight Against TB’.
- During his stay till 24 May 2023, Mandaviya will participate in various bilateral meetings with
countries across the world.
- He will promote opportunities for health-related cooperation among the participating
- The bilateral meetings will engage representatives from Singapore, France, Netherlands, USA, Bangladesh, Argentina, Brazil, Qatar and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Additionally, a multilateral meeting is also scheduled with representatives from BRICS.
Nepal Designates 2025 as a ‘Special tourism year’
- During the joint meeting of the federal parliament, President Ram Chandra Paudel announced that the decade of the 2080s in the Bikram Samvat calendar would be recognized as ‘the Visit
Nepal decade’ and that the year 2025 will be designated as a special year for tourism.
- These declarations were presented as part of the policies and programmes for the 2080/81 fiscal year.
- The tourism sector in Nepal had experienced a significant decline due to the COVID-19 crisis, but is slowly bouncing back.
Recent statistics maintained by the Nepal Tourism Board show that nearly one lakh tourists
have been visiting Nepal monthly since the start of 2023.
- Over the first four months of that year, Nepal recorded the arrival of more than 3.26 lakh foreign tourists.
Nepal’s tourist destinations will be promoted in the international community, and necessary infrastructure will be prepared accordingly.
- New tourist destinations will be identified in all seven provinces of Nepal, and each province will be transformed into a cultural village.
World No 1 in Men's Javelin Throw
- Tokyo Olympics gold medalist Neeraj Chopra achieved the number one ranking in men’s javelin throw for the first time.
- This is a major milestone in his career.
- Neeraj Chopra is on top with 1455 points, 22 ahead of Anderson Peters of Granada.
- Tokyo Olympics silver medallist Jakub Vadlejch of Czech Republic was third with 1416 points.
- The Indian national record holder in men’s javelin throw, took part in the season-opening Doha Diamond League on May 5 and finished first with a throw of 88.67m.
- Anderson Peters finished third in Doha with a throw of 85.88m.
BCCI Ropes in Adidas
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced Adidas as the new kit sponsor of the Indian cricket team, replacing interim sponsor Kewal Kiran Clothing Limited. Adidas is a German multinational corporation best known for the design and manufacture of athletic
footwear, apparel, and equipment.
- It is the largest sportswear manufacturer globally and has a significant presence in cricket, serving as the kit sponsor for the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and the Australian
Cricketers’ Association (ACA).
- The partnership with Adidas marks the commitment of a prestigious sponsor to support the athletes of the Indian Cricket Team.
AL-MOHED AL-HINDI 2023 Naval Exercise
- Indian Navy ships INS TARKASH and INS SUBHADRA arrived at Port Al-Jubail in Saudi Arabia.
- The visit of these ships marks the beginning of the harbor phase of the second edition of the naval exercise between the two countries, known as ‘Al-Mohad Al-Hindi 2023’.
- This year the naval exercise also includes the participation of a Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
During the exercise, naval forces from both countries will engage in joint maneuvers, training
activities, and exchange of expertise.
- The exercise will focus on enhancing maritime security capabilities and promoting interoperability between the two navies.
- The inaugural edition of the exercise was successfully conducted in 2021.
- It aims to strengthen the defense ties between India and Saudi Arabia.
- The exercise will provide an opportunity for both navies to learn from each other’s experiences and improve their operational capabilities.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
SpaceX Sends First Saudi Arabian Astronauts to ISS
- Saudi Arabia, the country’s first astronauts in decades have embarked on a journey to the International Space Station (ISS).
- Sponsored by the Saudi Arabian government, a female stem cell researcher named Rayyanah Barnawi and a Royal Saudi Air Force fighter pilot named Ali al-Qarni joined a crew led by a retired NASA astronaut from Kennedy Space Center.
- The mission was organized by Axiom Space, a Houston-based company, and executed by SpaceX.
- Saudi Arabia’s Historic Space Mission Saudi Arabia’s efforts to send astronauts to space after
several decades mark a significant milestone in the country’s space exploration ambitions.
- The current mission, sponsored by the Saudi government, aims to showcase the nation’s
commitment to advancing scientific research and technological innovation.
Israel Ties up with IIT-M
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has entered into a partnership with Israel to
establish the ‘India-Israel Center of Water Technology’ (CoWT).
- This joint initiative aims to address the challenges in water resources management and water
technologies in India.
The Letter of Intent (LoI) for the center was signed by representatives from both countries, highlighting the significance of this collaboration in ensuring water security for India.
- The India-Israel Center of Water Technology will focus on building human capacity to implement Israel’s advanced water technologies in the Indian context.
- This collaboration will be instrumental in achieving the objectives of India’s Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs’ (MoHUA) ‘AMRUT’ Mission.
International Day to End Obstetric Fistula
- International Day to End Obstetric Fistula is observed every year on 23 May.
- Obstetric fistula is a hole in the birth canal and it develops when a woman experiences obstructed labour for a long time without medical intervention.
- Obstetric fistula causes lifelong physical and social problems for women.
- International Day to End Obstetric Fistula was established on 23 May 2013.
- It was designated by the United Nations General Assembly and the day aims to raise awareness about obstetric fistula.
Veteran Actor Sarath Babu
- Veteran actor Sarath Babu has passed away in Hyderabad. He passed away at the age of 71.
- He started his career in films in 1973 with Rama Rajyam in Telugu but got a big break with K Balachander for the film Nizhal Nijamagiradu in 1978 which was remade into Idi kadha kaadu
- He started acting in almost all the south Indian languages and became one of the busiest
- He has received eight state Nandi Awards.