Daily Current Affairs for 25 May 2023
Historic Scepter ‘Sengol’ Finds Home in New Parliament Building
- The upcoming inauguration of the new parliament building will feature an important addition, as Prime Minister Narendra Modiwill place a significant golden sceptre near the Speaker’s seat, announced Union Home Minister Amit Shah.
- According to Shah, this sceptre holds historical significance as it was originally presented to India’s first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, symbolizing the transfer of power from the Britishto the Indian people.
- The Home Minister explained that the sceptre, known as “sengol,” derives from the Tamil word “semmai,” meaning “righteousness.”
- The oil ministry is considering a merger between Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd (MRPL) and Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL), both subsidiaries of Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC).
- This proposal, which had been suggested shortly after ONGC acquired HPCL five years ago, is now gaining traction.
- The merger is expected to be structured as a share-swap deal, benefiting MRPL shareholders with fresh shares from HPCL
Bangladesh-US Joint Naval Exercise held in Chattogram
- The‘Tiger Shark 40’ Joint Bangladesh-US Naval drill Exercisecommenced at BNS Nirvik in Chattogram.
- The main aim of the exercise is to enhance the strategic capabilities of both countries and promote mutual exchange of technical and procedural knowledge.
- According to a press release from the Bangladesh Inter Services Press Relations (ISPR), the exercise seeks to strengthen the existing positive relations between the armed forces of the two nations.
- The training exercise, overseen by Commodore Swords Command, involved the participation of Special Forces from the Bangladesh Army and Navy as well as US Special Forces
G20 High-Level Principles on Hydrogen
- The global shift towards clean and sustainable energy sources is gaining momentum as countries strive to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change.
- In this context, India has proposed a discussion on global standards for ‘green, clean, and low carbon’ hydrogen at the recent G20 Energy Transition Working Group meeting
Maharashtra Government Launches ‘Shasan Aplya Dari’ Initiative to Bring Government Schemes and Services to Citizens’ Doorsteps
- The Maharashtragovernment, under the leadership of Chief Minister Eknath Shinde, is set to launch a new initiative called ‘Shasan Aplya Dari’(government at your doorstep).
- The primary objective of this initiative is to provide citizens with easy access to government schemes and documents, all in one place.
- District administrations have been directed to organize two-day camps in their respective areas to facilitate the distribution of benefits to approximately 75,000 locals.
- The inaugural event for this campaign will be held in Satara district, the Chief Minister’s home district
Kerala Becomes India’s First Fully E-Governed State, Achieving Total E-Governance
- Kerala, the southern state of India, is set to make history by declaring itself as the country’s first “total e-governed state.”
- Building upon its reputation as the first fully-literate state inIndia, Kerala has achieved this milestone through a series of policy initiatives aimed at transforming the state into a digitally-empowered society.
- With a focus on a knowledge-based economy and 100% digital literacy, the government has digitized the delivery of vital services across various domains, ensuring transparency, inclusivity, and accessibility for all citizens
GRSE launch ‘GAINS 2023’ Startup Challenge in Kolkata
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd,a leading defense shipyard in India, has launched a program called GRSE Accelerated Innovation Nurturing Scheme – 2023 (GAINS 2023)in Kolkata.
- The aim of this initiative is to identify and promote innovative solutions for technological advancements in shipbuilding by startups
Digital India Programme: National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA)
- The Ministry of Parliamentary Affairsis planning to host a two-day National Workshop on the National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA)on May 24th and 25th, 2023.
- The workshop will take place at the Convention Hall, The Hotel Ashok, in New Delhi.
- The main objective of this workshop is to promote the adoption of the NeVA platform by all State and Union Territory Legislatures.
- By utilizing technology, the aim is to bring transparency, accountability, and responsiveness to their legislative proceedings
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Microsoft launches Jugalbandi, a multilingual AI-chat bot for rural India
- Microsofthas launchedJugalbandi, a generative AI-driven multilingual chatbot accessible via popular messaging platform, WhatsApp.
- The bot has been especially made to cover areas of rural India which aren’t easily penetrated through media and lack access to government’s welfare activities.
- The chatbot has been developed by AI4Bharat in collaboration with IIT Madras. It is aimed at providing personalised assistance by understanding user queries in multiple languages, whether spoken or typed.
- The chatbot was launched in April and has been tested in Biwan, a village near India’s capital city of New Delhi
Bulgarian writer Georgi Gospodinov wins International Booker Prize for ‘Time Shelter
- Georgi Gospodinov’s captivating novel, “Time Shelter,” translated by Angela Rodel, has secured the prestigious 2023 International Booker Prize.
- This remarkable achievement marks the first time a Bulgarian novel has been awarded this renowned literary honor
World Thyroid Awareness Day 2023 observed on 25th May
- World Thyroid Awareness Dayis observed on May 25every year.
- The day is dedicated to spreading awareness about thyroid-related disorders, their symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options.
- On this day, all the stakeholders aim to educate people about the importance of maintaining a healthy thyroid gland and the impact of thyroid disorders on overall well-being.