Daily Current Affairs for 06 June 2023
Railways Expend Over Rs 1 Lakh Crore on Safety Measures between 2017- 2018 and 2021-22
- The Indian Railways has invested more than Rs 1 lakh crore in safety measures between the fiscal years 2017-2018 and 2021-2022, with a significant focus on track renewal.
- This information comes in response to claims made by Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge, who criticized the government over a recent train accident in Balasore, Odisha.
- The government is set to address a report by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India, which Kharge cited to question the allocation of funds for track renewal.
- However, official data reveals a steady growth in expenditure on safety-related works, countering the claims of reduced funding
Sedition Law in India: Retaining, Reforming, or Repealing?
- The 22nd Law Commission’s recent report on Section 124A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) has recommended retaining the sedition law while proposing amendments and procedural safeguards to prevent its misuse.
- This article delves into the significance of the sedition law, the Law Commission’s recommendations, and the arguments surrounding its retention or repeal.
Germany’s Economic Downturn: Fourth Largest Global Economy Slips into Recession
- Germany, the fourth largest economy in the world, is currently facing a recession due to a decline in the Euro and an unexpected contraction in the economy during the first three months of 2023.
- This contraction, marking the second consecutive quarter of decline, meets one definition of a recession.
UAE to Host World’s Largest Conservation Conference in 2025
- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has emerged victorious in the bid to host the prestigious World Conservation Congress (WCC) in 2025.
- The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has chosen Abu Dhabi as the venue for this momentous event.
- The WCC, renowned as the world’s largest gathering of conservationists, is expected to attract over 10,000 delegates from more than 160 countries.
- Taking place from October 10-21, 2025, the conference will serve as a critical platform for global environmentalists to address pressing challenges and formulate innovative solutions for a sustainable future.
Reckitt launches first Dettol Climate Resilient School in Uttarakhand
- On World Environment Day, Reckitt inaugurated the inaugural Dettol Climate Resilient School in Uttarkashi, Uttarakhand, as part of its Dettol Banega Swasth India campaign.
- This initiative aims to provide schools with the necessary tools and knowledge to build climate-resilient communities.
- Uttarakhand is highly susceptible to the negative impacts of climate change due to various factors like melting glaciers, population growth, seismic activities, and excessive exploitation of natural resources.
Bima Vahak Scheme: Ensuring Financial Security through Insurance
- IRDAI is making efforts to enhance insurance awareness and penetration in rural areas, and their plan is gaining momentum through the issuance of draft guidelines for Bima Vahak.
- Bima Vahak is a specialized distribution channel that aims to reach every Gram Panchayat, thus playing a crucial role in achieving the ‘Insurance for all by 2047’ objective.
RBI Governor Launches Financial Inclusion Dashboard ‘Antardrishti’
- RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das recently unveiled a new financial inclusion dashboard called ‘Antardrishti.’
- The dashboard aims to provide valuable insights and track the progress of financial inclusion by capturing relevant data.
- This initiative further reinforces the RBI’s commitment to promoting financial inclusion through a collaborative approach involving multiple stakeholders.
3rd Khelo India University Games Concludes in Varanasi
- The third edition of the Khelo India University Games concluded at the IIT BHU campus in Varanasi.
- The closing ceremony was attended by Anurag Singh Thakur, the Union Youth Affairs and Sports Minister, Nishith Pramanik, the Union Minister of State for Sports, and Yogi Adityanath, the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
Russian Language Day 2023: Know the history of UN Language Days
- Every year on June 6, the United Nations celebrates UN Russian Language Day, which was established by UNESCO in 2010.
- This day aligns with the birthday of Alexander Pushkin, a renowned Russian poet known as the founder of modern Russian language.
- The purpose of this initiative is to promote equal recognition and appreciation for all six official languages of the UN: English, Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, and French.