National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2023
ContextRecently, the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), under the Union Ministry of Education, announced the India Rankings 2023 of higher education institutions in New Delhi.
About the rankings:
- This was the eighth consecutive edition of India Rankings of HEIs in India.
- The five broad categories of parameters identified in the NIRF are:
- Learning and resources;
- Research and professional practice;
- Graduation outcome;
- Inclusivity and perception.
- Each of these five parameters has 2 to 5 sub-parameters.
- With the addition of new category (Innovation) subject domain like
- Agriculture & Allied Sectors and
|The existing portfolio of India Rankings has increased to 13 categories and subject domains that have been ranked in India Rankings 2023.|
- Expanded ‘Architecture’ to Architecture and Planning’
- India Rankings have served as a valuable tool for students in selecting universities based on their relative standing in various categories and subject domains among higher education institutions (HEI) in the country.
|In total, 5,543 unique institutions offered themselves for ranking under ‘overall’, category-specific and/or domain-specific rankings for India Rankings 2023.|
- Multi-dimensional parameters of India Rankings have successfully captured the quality and excellence of HEIs in India.
- On the basis of Field:
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Madras in Chennai remained the best educational institution in overall rankings for the fifth consecutive term.
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru ranked as the best university in the country for eight years in a row.
- Miranda House, Delhi is ranked the best college.
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad is the top management institute.
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Hyderabad is ranked number one for pharmaceutical studies.
- The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Delhi is ranked the best medical college, and Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai is the top dental college.
- National Law School of India University, Bengaluru is ranked the best law college in the country.
- IIT-Madras has also been ranked the best engineering college for the eighth consecutive year (from 2016 to 2023).
- On the basis of Research Capability:
- IISc Bengaluru stood first in ‘Research Institutions’ category.
- IISc is followed by the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) and Jamia Millia Islamia University as the second and third best universities, respectively.
- In Agriculture sector:
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi remained at the top in ‘Agriculture and Allied Sectors’.
- IIT-Kanpur topped the ‘Innovation’ category.
- IISc, Bengaluru and IIT-Delhi are ranked the second and third best institutes in the overall category.