Context: The National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) has issued a notice to Zomato founder and CEO over an inhuman and casteist advertisement that featured a Dalit character from a movie. About National Commission for Scheduled Castes:
- The National Commission for Scheduled Castes is an Indian constitutional body established with a view to provide safeguards against the exploitation of Scheduled Castes and Anglo Indian communities.
- It also seeks to promote and protect their social, educational, economic and cultural interests; special provisions were made in the Constitution.
- Article 338 of the Indian constitution deals with the National Commission for Scheduled Castes.
- Composition: It consists of Chairperson, Vice-chairperson, three other members who are appointed by the President by warrant under his hand and seal.
- To investigate and monitor all matters relating to the safeguards provided for the Scheduled Castes under this Constitution.
- To enquire into specific complaints with respect to the deprivation of rights and safeguards of the Scheduled Castes.
- To participate and advise on the planning process of socio-economic development of the Scheduled Castes and to evaluate the progress of their development under the Union and any State
- To present to the President, annually and at such other times as the Commission may deem fit, reports upon the working of those safeguards.
- To make in such reports recommendations as to the measures that should be taken by the Union or any State for the effective implementation of those safeguards and other measures for the protection, welfare and socio-economic development of the Scheduled Castes.
- Summoning and enforcing the attendance of any person from any part of India and examining him on oath.
- Requiring the discovery and production of any documents.
- Receiving evidence on affidavits.
- Requisitioning any public record or copy thereof from any court or office.
- Issuing commissions for the examination of witnesses and documents.
- Any other matter which the President may by rule, determine.