Daily Current Affairs for 24 June 2023
Coal India to come under Competition Act: Supreme Court
- In a recent judgment, the Supreme Courtof India ruled that Coal India Limited(CIL) and its subsidiary companies are subject to the Competition Act, 2002.
- The court held that the Competition Commission of India (CCI) can take action against CIL for abuse of its dominant position in the coal sector.
- However, the court emphasized that CIL has the right to defend its actions under the law.
- This decision comes after CIL challenged a ruling by the CCI in 2014, which held the company guilty of abuse of dominant position and imposed a penalty.
NHAI launches ‘Knowledge Sharing Platform’ for development of Highways
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highwayshas announced the launch of a knowledge-sharing platformby the National Highway Authority of India.
- This platform aims to promote the inclusive development of national highways.
- It will serve as a collaborative space for experts and citizens to share ideas and knowledge in various fields including road design, safety, construction, environmental sustainability, and related areas.
Prime Minister Modi’s Gifts to President Biden and First Lady Jill Biden
- During the State Visit, Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden with special gifts.
- These gifts not only reflect India’s rich cultural heritage but also symbolize the warm relationship between the two nations.
China inks deal with Pakistan to set up nuclear power plant
- Chinaand Pakistanhave signed a significant agreement worth USD 4.8 billion to establish a 1,200-megawatt nuclear power plant.
- This deal reflects the deepening strategic cooperation between the two nations and comes as a welcome development for Pakistan.
- Pakistan is determined to enhance its energy sector and overcome its economic difficulties by assuring the prompt initiation of the nuclear power plant project
Telangana CM Inaugurates Medha Rail Coach Factory in Hyderabad
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao recently inaugurated the Medha Rail Coach Factory, the largest private coach factory in India, located in Kondakal, Shankarpally mandal of Rangareddy district.
- During the inauguration ceremony, CM KCR assured complete support to Medha Servo Group for its expansion in Telangana, expressing confidence that it would generate significant employment opportunities for the local youth.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
IIT Kanpur Conducts Test Flight for Cloud Seeding
- The Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK) has recently undertaken a significant test flight with the aim of cloud seeding.
- Cloud seeding is a process that involves the introduction of various chemical agents into clouds to enhance the chances of precipitation.
Pakistan’s Economic Crisis Deepens with Dollar Crunch Halting Food Imports
- Pakistanis currently facing a severe economic crisis characterized by a shortage of dollars, leading to a complete halt in the import of essential food and beverages.
- The situation has resulted in thousands of stranded containers at ports, incurring fines and additional charges for traders.
- The lack of sufficient foreign exchange, which the Pakistan State Bank (PSB) has been unable to provide, has further exacerbated the country’s economic challenges.
Day of the Seafarer 2023
- The Day of the Seafareris a special day dedicated to all those who work closely with salt water, including Coast Guards, Navies, fishermen, marine biologists, and cruise ship captains.
- It commemorates the first recorded sea voyage around 3200 BCE, which was sponsored by the Egyptian Pharaoh Snefru, known for building several pyramids.
- This annual event, observed on June 25th,aims to acknowledge the crucial role played by seafarers in international trade, the global economy, and society as a whole. Furthermore, it emphasizes their significant efforts in safeguarding the marine environment.
International Day of Women in Diplomacy 2023
- The International Day of Women in Diplomacy (IDWID)is observed annually onJune 24 to honor and recognize remarkable women in the fields of diplomacy and decision-making across the globe.
- Diana Abgar, an Armenian ambassador, is credited as the first female diplomat of the 20th century.