Daily Current Affairs for 26 June 2023
Liberalization of UAV Export Policy
- The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) has recently implemented significant changes to the policy governing the export of Drones/UAVs from India.
- With the aim of promoting the export of high-tech items for civilian end uses, the DGFT has simplified and liberalized the regulations surrounding drone exports.
Blue Pansy (Junonia Orithya)
- The rich biodiversity of Jammu and Kashmir has received a significant boost with the official declaration of the Blue Pansy (Junonia Orithya) as the region’s official butterfly.
- The announcement, made by Dheeraj Gupta, Principal Secretary to the Government for the Department of Forest, Ecology, and Environment, marks a crucial step towards preserving and protecting the natural heritage of this picturesque region.
India-Egypt Strategic Partnership
- India and Egypt have taken significant steps to enhance their bilateral cooperation through a strategic partnership agreement.
- During Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Egypt, several key developments unfolded, solidifying the relationship between the two nations.
Minerals Security Partnership
- The global initiative known as the Minerals Security Partnership (MSP), also referred to as the critical minerals alliance, was announced in June 2022.
- The primary goal of this partnership is to ensure the availability of stable supplies of critical minerals for participating countries’ economies while reducing China’s dominance in the global critical mineral market.
Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) Restructuring Committee
- In a bid to streamline administration and improve governance in Bengaluru, the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) Restructuring Committee was reconvened on June 12.
- The objective of this move, spearheaded by the Congress party, is to split the BBMP into multiple corporations for enhanced ease of administration.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Nutraceutical Properties of Joha Rice
- Joha rice, a variety cultivated in the Northeastern region of India, has gained attention for its distinct aroma and notable taste.
- Beyond its sensory appeal, Joha rice has been traditionally associated with health benefits, including a low incidence of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
- In recent years, scientists at the Institute of Advanced Study in Science and Technology (IASST) have conducted research to explore the nutraceutical properties of this unique grain.
Gruha Jyothi Scheme 2023
- The Karnataka Governmentrecently launched itsGruha Jyothi Scheme, aimed at providing affordable housing to the poor and middle-class families of the state.
- The scheme is a part of the state’s ambitious “Housing for All” plan and aims to provide housing to nearly 4.5 lakh families in the next five years.
PM Narendra Modi receives Egypt’s highest honour ‘Order of the Nile’
- During his official visit to Egypt, Prime MinisterNarendra Modiwas bestowed with the highest state honor of Egypt, known as the ‘Order of the Nile.’
- This recognition marks the 13th international award received by Prime Minister Modi.
- The prestigious award was presented to him by Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, making it a significant moment as Prime Minister Modi became the first Indian Prime Minister to visit Egypt since 1997.
United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture
- The UN International Day in Support of Victims of Tortureis observed onJune 26th to commemorate the day in 1987 when the UN Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment came into force.
- This convention is a crucial instrument in the global fight against torture. The prohibition of torture is considered a part of customary international law, which means that it is legally binding on all countries, regardless of whether they have ratified specific treaties that explicitly prohibit torture.
- The official website highlights that the systematic or widespread practice of torture is recognized as a crime against humanity.
World Drug Day 2023
- Every year on June 26th, the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking,also known as World Drug Day,is observed to promote global efforts in eliminating drug abuse.
- The focus of this year’s campaign is to increase awareness regarding the significance of treating individuals who engage in drug use with empathy and respect.
- It emphasizes the importance of providing evidence-based and voluntary services to all, while offering alternatives to punishment.
- Prevention is prioritized, and a compassionate approach is advocated.
- Additionally, the campaign aims to combat the stigma and discrimination faced by drug users by encouraging the use of respectful and non-judgmental language and attitudes.