Daily Current Affairs for 27 June 2023
The Significance of PM Modi’s Visit to Al-Hakim Mosque in Egypt: Dawoodi Bohra Muslim Community
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Al-Hakim Mosque in Cairo, Egyptholds great significance, particularly for the Dawoodi Muslim community in India.
- The mosque, which dates back to the 11th century, is named after Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah, the 16th Fatimid caliph.
- PM Modi’s association with the Dawoodi Bohra Muslim community, known for their contributions in Gujarat, adds to the importance of this visit.
- This article explores the historical background of the Al-Hakim Mosque and the Dawoodi Bohra Muslim population in India, shedding light on why this visit is noteworthy.
Compliance Status of Coal-Based Power Plants
- India’s coal-fired power plants are facing challenges in installing flue gas de-sulfurisation (FGD) systems, which are crucial for controlling sulphur dioxide emissions and reducing air pollution.
- A recent analysis conducted by the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) highlights the low installation rate of FGD systems and the implications for emission norms compliance.
Kyriakos Mitsotakis sworn in as Greek Prime Minister
- Kyriakos Mitsotakis, leader of the centre-right New Democracy party, has been sworn in as the prime ministerofGreece for a second term following a resounding election victory.
- Mitsotakis has outlined his plans to rebuild Greece’s credit rating, create jobs, raise wages, and boost state revenues.
- His party secured 158 seats in the 300-seat parliament, surpassing the leftist Syriza party, which governed Greece from2015-2019 during the country’s economic crisis.
‘In-country’ Renewable H-1B Visas
- The United States authorities have recently announced a significant development in the H-1B visa renewal process.
- The introduction of ‘in-country’ renewable H-1B visas aims to streamline the renewal procedure for Indian professionals working in the US. H-1B visas are highly sought-after non-immigrant visas that allow US companies to employ foreign workers in specialized occupations requiring theoretical or technical expertise.
- These visas play a crucial role in facilitating the recruitment of talent, particularly in the technology sector, with many employees coming from countries like India.
Assam’s First Underwater Tunnel To Come Up Under Brahmaputra
- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma recently announced the construction of Assam’s first-ever underwater tunnel, connectingNumaligarhand Gohpur.
- This groundbreaking project, estimated to cost Rs 6,000 crores, will be the first rail-road tunnel under the Brahmaputra Riverin northeast India.
- The tenders for the project are scheduled to open next month, marking a significant milestone in the region’s transportation infrastructure.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- Watermelon snow is a captivating natural phenomenon observed in snowy mountainous regions, including Utah, where the snow takes on a red and pink hue.
- This unique occurrence has been attributed to a specific type of algae and has fascinated both scientists and nature enthusiasts alike.
S&P Retains India’s Growth Projection at 6% for FY24; Fastest Growing Economy in Asia Pacific
- S&P Global Ratings, a leading credit rating agency, has retained India’s GDP growth projection at six percent for the fiscal year 2023-2024.
- This forecast positions India as the fastest growing economy among the Asia Pacific nations. The rating agency’s decision to maintain the growth outlook is based on the country’s domestic resilience.
World MSME Day 2023
- International Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Day or World MSME Day is observed every year on 27th Juneall over the world to highlight the significance of MSMEs and how they play a crucial role in being the backbone of the country’s economy.
- The theme MSME Day 2023 in India is “Future-ready MSMEs for India@100.”The Global Council for the Promotion of International Trade is also celebrating the day with “Building a Stronger Future Together” theme of this year.