Suspension of Operations (SoO) agreement
Context: Recently, the Manipur Chief minister said that the Centre would ensure the implementation of the Suspension of Operations (SoO) agreement with Kuki insurgent groups in the hill area. About Suspension of Operations (SoO) agreement:
- The suspension of operations (SoO) agreement was sealed in 2008 with the aim of starting a political dialogue with the militant groups in Manipur.
- 25 out of 30 Kuki insurgent groups in Manipur are under tripartite Suspension of Operations (SoO) with the Government of India and the state.
- Security forces, including state and central forces, are not to launch any operations, nor can the underground groups.
- The insurgent signatories shall abide by the Constitution of India, the laws of the land and the territorial integrity of Manipur.
- They are prohibited from committing all kinds of atrocities, extortion, among others.
- The militant cadres are to be confined in designated camps identified by the Government.
- Arms are deposited in a safe room under a double-locking system. The groups are given arms only to guard their camps and protect their leaders.