DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 03-07-2023
National Sickle Cell Anaemia Elimination Mission
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the National Sickle Cell Anemia Elimination Mission in Shahdol, Madhya Pradesh.
- The mission aims to eliminate sickle cell anaemia by 2047.
- This mission will be implemented in 278 districts of 17 states of India.
- The targeted states include Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Assam, Uttar Pradesh, Kerala, Bihar and Uttarakhand.
- The mission focuses on creating awareness and universal testing among about seven crore people in the age group of 0-40 years in the affected tribal areas.
- Collaborative efforts of Central Ministries and State Governments will be employed for consultation and implementation.
India's Largest Natural Arch in Odisha
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI) discovered a ‘Natural Arch’ in Odisha’s Sundergarh Forest Division.
- This natural arch originated approximately 184 million years ago during the Lower to Middle Jurassic period.
- The GSI has proposed a Geo Heritage tag for the arch, which aims to become the largest natural arch in India with this recognition.
- This oval shaped arch has a base length of 30 meters and a height of 12 metres.
- The maximum height and width of the natural arch are 7 meters and 15 meters respectively.
- Geo-Heritage Sites (GHS) have rare and exceptional geological, geomorphological, mineralogical, petrological and paleontological features.
Kharchi Puja Commenced in Tripura
- In a vibrant display of cultural heritage and religious fervour, the Historical ‘Kharchi Puja’ commenced in Tripura.
- It is one of the main festivals of Tripura.
- The auspicious event marked the revival of ancient customs and traditions, drawing enthusiastic devotees from far and wide.
- It lasts for 7 days, and it takes place at old Agartala in the Fourteen Gods temple known as the ‘Chaturdasha Devata’ temple premises.
- Kharchi Puja, also called the festival of 14 Gods, is observed on the 8th day of the new moon in July or August every year.
- This year, the auspicious festival will begin on June 26 and will continue till July 2, 2023.
- The meaning of Kharchi can be understood by splitting the word into two Tripuri words “Khar” or Kharta meaning sin and “Chi” or si meaning cleaning.
RBI Cancels Mahalaxmi Cooperative Bank Dharwad’s Banking Licence
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cancelled the banking license of the Karnataka-based Mahalaxmi Cooperative Bank, Dharwad, and allowed it to function only as a Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC).
- The RBI cancelled the banking licence dated March 23, 1994 granted to the Mahalaxmi Cooperative Bank Dharwad.
- This will not stop the bank from conducting the business of ‘banking’ and acceptance of deposits from non-members with immediate effect.
- Further, the bank shall ensure to repay unpaid and unclaimed deposits of non-members held by it, whenever demanded, even after being notified as a non-banking Institution.
- Earlier, In April 2023, the RBI cancelled the banking licence of Adoor Co-operative Urban Bank and allowed it to operate only as NBFC.
GNPA Ratio of Scheduled Commercial Banks
- The Reserve Bank of India has informed that the Gross Non-Performing Assets (GNPA) ratio of Scheduled Commercial Banks has fallen to 10 year low of 3.9 percent in March 2023 and net non-performing assets (NNPA) ratio declined to 1 percent.
- RBI released its Financial Stability report.
- As per the report Scheduled commercial banks bolstered their capital base with Capital to risk-weighted assets ratio at a historical high of 1 per cent and common equity tier1 capital ratio at 13.9 percent in March 2023.
- The report says, Indian economy presents a picture of resilience, supported by strong macroeconomic fundamentals.
- Sustained growth momentum, moderating inflation, narrowing current account deficit and rising foreign exchange reserves, ongoing fiscal consolidation, and robust financial system are setting the economy on a path of sustained growth.
RANKS, INDICES & REPORTS
Global Livability Index 2023
- According to the global livability index 2023, Austria’s capital Vienna has been named the world’s ‘most livable city’ for 2023.
- The Global livability index 2023 has been released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
- It has ranked 173 cities around the world on different factors including health care, education, stability, infrastructure and the environment.
- In this ranking, Denmark’s Copenhagen is in second place while Australia’s Melbourne and Sydney are in third and fourth positions.
- India’s five cities- Bengaluru, Ahmedabad, Chennai, New Delhi and Mumbai – are also on the list of most livable cities.
- New Delhi and Mumbai secured141st position. Chennai, Ahmedabad and B Bengaluru are ranked 144th, 147th and 148th, respectively.
- The average index score across 172 cities (eliminating Kyiv in Ukraine) has now reached 76.2
out of 100.
- It is the highest in the last 15 years.
- UK capital London and Sweden’s capital Stockholm have reached 46th and 43rd positions.
- As per the report, the health care scores have improved the most.
- Canada has the highest number of livable cities in the top 10.
- These cities are Calgary (7th), Vancouver (5th) and Toronto (9th).
- Damascus is the least livable city in the world.
- Kyiv is also in the bottom 10.
FIFA Men's Football Rankings
- ‘World Men’s Football Ranking’ released by ‘FIFA’ in June 2023.
- Argentina with 1843.73 points has topped the list.
- India has been ranked 100th (with a total score of 1204.90) in the ‘World Men’s Football Ranking’ by ‘FIFA’.
- The Indian men’s football team has leapfrogged teams like Lebanon and New Zealand to reach the 100th spot in the latest FIFA world rankings.
- It is after five years that the Indian men’s football team entered the top 100 club after slipping from the 96th position in 2018.
- This is the fourth best ranking achieved by the Indian men’s football team in history.
Indian Navy Launched Powerful Anti-Submarine Warfare Vessel
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Anjadip, the 3rd of the eight Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Craft (SWC) Project, was launched at the Larsen and Toubro (L&T) Kattupalli Port, Chennai, Tamil Nadu (TN).
- It was built by Kolkata-based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) for the Indian Navy.
- It is an anti-submarine warfare shallow watercraft vessel built for the Indian Navy.
- The Launch Ceremony was presided over by Vice Admiral R B Pandit, C-in-C (SFC).
- In keeping with the naval maritime tradition, Smt Priya Pandit launched the ship to the chanting of invocation from Atharva Veda.
- Anjadip is the 3rd of the eight ships of the contract that was signed between Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) in April 2019.
- The vessel was named after the island of Anjadip, located off Karwar Port, Karnataka, signifying its strategic maritime importance.
- The ship is a 900-ton, 77-metre-long vessel powered by water-jet propulsion.
- It can achieve a maximum speed of 25 knots (46 km/h) and has an endurance of 1,800 nautical miles (3,300 km) at 14 knots (26 km/h).
- It is designed to undertake anti-submarine operations in coastal waters, low intensity maritime operations (LIMO) and subsurface surveillance among others.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Chief Operating Officer of LIC Housing Finance Limited
- LIC Housing Finance Limited (LIC HFL) has appointed Tribhuwan Adhikari as Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the company.
- Tribhuwan Adhikari, joined LIC of India in September 1989.
- During his career in LIC, spanning more than 3 decades he has worked all over the country and has been posted in West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Maharashtra.
- He had the privilege of holding independent charge of two Divisions of LICI i.e., Dehradun in Uttarakhand and Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh (UP).
- Prior to this assignment, he was posted as Additional Director at Zonal Training Center, Eastern Zone, Kolkata.
National Doctor's Day
- National Doctor’s Day is celebrated every year on 01 July.
- It is to appreciate and honour the valuable contribution of doctors and health care professionals in the world.
- The day is celebrated in India to recognize the selfless service and efforts of doctors for the betterment of the people.
- The Indian Medical Association (IMA) organises various programs and activities on National Doctor’s Day.
- The theme for National Doctor’s Day 2023 is ‘Celebrating Resilience and Healing Hands’.
- It aims to recognize and appreciate the tireless efforts of medical professionals during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The day is celebrated in the memory of Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, a physician and the second Chief Minister of West Bengal.