DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 04-07-2023
NADA India Signs MoU with SARADO
- National Anti-Doping Agency, India (NADA India) signed a MoU with South Asia Regional AntiDoping Organization (SARADO) on 03 July 2023 in New Delhi.
- Ritu Sain, Director General and CEO, NADA India and Mohammad Mahid Sharif, Director General, SARADO signed the MoU on behalf of their organisations.
- It includes the anti-doping organisations of Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
- It aimsto enhance regional cooperation in the field of anti-doping in sports.
- It focuses on a variety of areas including anti-doping education and prevention programs.
- It will train and skill sample collection personnel and anti-doping education officers.
- It will organise courses, seminars, workshops, research and exchange tours on anti-doping education.
- The MoU supports anti-doping education activities and the production of literature.
RBI Slaps Rs 30 Lakhs Penalty on Standard Chartered Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a monetary penalty of ₹30.00 lakh on Standard Chartered Bank-India for non-compliance with certain provisions of the ‘Reserve Bank of India (Know Your Customer (KYC)) Directions, 2016’.
- This penalty has been imposed in the exercise of powers vested in RBI conferred under the provisions of section 47 A (1) (c) read with section 46 (4) (i) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
- This action is based on deficiencies in regulatory compliance and is not intended to pronounce upon the validity of any transaction or agreement entered into by the bank with its customers.
- The Statutory Inspection for Supervisory Evaluation (ISE 2021) of the bank was conducted by RBI with reference to its financial position as on March 31, 2021.
132nd Durand Cup Tournament Organized in Kolkata
- The ‘Trophy Tour’ of the 132nd edition of Durand Cup, India’s oldest football tournament, was started at a function held at Manekshaw Centre, Delhi Cantt.
- It was flagged off by Chief of Army Staff General Manoj Pandey, Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhary and President of All India Football Federation (AIFF) Kalyan Choubey.
- This tournament will be organized from 03 August to 03 September 2023 in Kolkata.
- 24 teams including teams from Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh will participate in the 132nd edition of the tournament.
- Foreign teams are participating in the tournament after a gap of 27 years. The tournament is open to all club teams.
- It is organized by the Durand Football Tournament Society (DFTS) under the aegis of the AllIndia Football Federation (AIFF).
- Basically, the tournament has always been a symbol of excellence, sportsmanship and high point of competitiveness in the field of sports.
Austrian Grand Prix 2023
- Max Verstappen took a stunning victory in the Austrian Grand Prix 2023.
- The Austrian Grand Prix victory marked Verstappen’s fifth consecutive victory and seven from nine races in the current season.
- Charles Leclerc, finished second at the Austrian Grand Prix, crossing the finish line 5.2 seconds behind Verstappen.
- Sergio Pérez, driving for the Red Bull team, finished third, 17.2 seconds behind the race leader.
RANKS, INDICES & REPORTS
WEF's Energy Transition Index
- World Economic Forum (WEF) published a report titled ‘Fostering Effective Energy Transition 2023’ which ranked 120 countries on the basis of energy transition.
- In this ranking, WEF has placed India at 67th position globally in the Energy Transition Index (ETI).
- According to WEF, India is the only major economy where the pace of energy transition is accelerating in all dimensions.
- Despite sustained economic growth, India has successfully reduced the energy intensity of its economy and the carbon intensity of its energy mix, achieved universal energy access and managed electricity affordability effectively.
- According to ETI the top five countries in the world are Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Switzerland respectively.
AWARDS & PRIZES
The PEN Pinter Prize 2023
- Renowned children’s writer and performance poet, Michael Rosen, has been awarded with the PEN Pinter Prize 2023.
- This award is bestowed upon a writer hailing from the United Kingdom, Ireland, or the Commonwealth, whose body of work fearlessly uncovers and reveals truths about the realities of modern-day existence.
- Michael Rosen, who served as the British Children’s Laureate from 2007 to 2009, is celebrated for his efforts to make poetry engaging and relatable to children through his works and performances.
- His poetry delves into social, political, and ethical themes.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
First Deputy Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
- TS Singh Deo has been appointed as the first Deputy Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh by Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge.
- Singhdeo’s appointment has been made after the discussion held on Chhattisgarh elections.
- Ever since winning the election in 2018, there has been a tussle between Bhupesh Baghel and TS Singhdev over becoming the chief minister.
- The post of CM was fixed between Baghel and Singhdev for two and a half years each but it was not implemented.
- This year elections are to be held in November 2023 on all the 90 seats of the Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly.
Solicitor General of India
- Tushar Mehta was reappointed as the current Solicitor General of India for a three-year term.
- The reappointment of Tushar Mehta was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
- Reappointment ensures continuity in handling the country’s complex legal matters.
- Tushar Mehta’s role as Solicitor General involves representing the Government of India in legal matters.
- The government aims to maintain a strong legal framework in India and uphold justice through these appointments.
Indian Navy Launched The 4th Ship of Survey Vessels
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Sanshodhak’, the fourth of four ships of Survey Vessels (Large) (SVL) Project, being built by Larsen and Toubro (L&T)/ Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) for the Indian Navy was launched at Kattupalli, Chennai, Tamil Nadu (TN).
- The chief guest of the Launch Ceremony was Vice Admiral Adhir Arora, Chief Hydrographer to Government of India (GoI).
- The ship named ‘Sanshodhak’, meaning ‘Researcher’, signifies the primary role of the ship as a Survey Vessel.
- As per the contract signed between MoD and Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata, the first ship was to be built at GRSE, Kolkata and construction of the remaining three ships up to outfitting stage, has been subcontracted to M/s L&T Shipbuilding, Kattupalli.
- The first three ships of the project, Sandhayak, Nirdeshak and Ikshak were launched on 05 Dec 21, 26 May 22 and 26 Nov 22 SVL ships will replace the existing Sandhayak Class survey ships, with new-generation hydrographic equipment, to collect oceanographic data.
- The hull of these ships is made by Steel Authority of India Limited from indigenously developed DMR 249-A steel.
- It can carry four Survey Motor Boats and an integral helicopter.
- These ships have a length of 110 metres, a width of 16 meters, and a displacement of 3,400 tons.
World Sports Journalists Day
- World Sports Journalists Day is celebrated across the world ono 2 July every year.
- The day honours the achievements of sports media professionals and inspires them to put in more efforts to spread knowledge about sports among the general public.
- Many news companies organize special events to honor sports journalists on this special day.
- It aims to recognize the efforts of individuals involved in sports journalism.
- It serves as a platform to honour his outstanding work in the field of sports journalism.