Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana
Context: The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment introduced Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana (AVYAY) to empowering senior citizens in India About Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana:
News Source: pib
- Amalgamation of earlier scheme: National Action Plan for Senior Citizens (NAPSrc) was revamped, renamed as Atal VayoAbhyuday Yojana (AVYAY) in 2021. It is an umbrella Scheme which includes Integrated Programme for Senior Citizens and Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana.
- Enhance standard of living: To improve the quality of life of the Senior Citizens by providing basic amenities like shelter, food, medical care and entertainment opportunities.
- Priceless addition: To recognize the invaluable contribution made by the elderly to society.
- Curbing loneliness: To ensure their well-being and social inclusion by empowering and uplifting them.
- Active engagement: To ensure their active participation and inclusion in all aspects of life.
- Nodal agency: Ministry Social Justice and Empowerment
- Implementing Agencies: State/ UT Governments /Panchayati Raj Institutions / local bodies and eligible Non-Governmental/Voluntary Organizations
- Approach: Assistance will be given to the Implementing Agencies for the following purposes:
- Fulfilling requirements: Programmes catering to the basic needs of Senior Citizens particularly food, shelter and health care to the destitute elderly.
- Building bridges: Programmes to build and strengthen intergenerational relationships particularly between children / youth and Senior Citizens, through Regional Resource and Training Centres (RRTCs).
- Infusing dynamism: Programmes for encouraging Active and Productive Ageing, through RRTCs.
- Comprehensive care: Programmes for providing Institutional as well as Non-Institutional Care/ Services to Senior Citizens.
- Increasing knowledge: Research, Advocacy and Awareness building programmes in the field of Ageing through RRTC.
- Any other programmes in the best interest of Senior Citizens.
About Integrated Programme for Senior Citizens (IPSrC):