‘Soul of Steel’ Challenge
Context: The ‘Soul of Steel’ challenge launched in the forward areas of Garhwal Himalayan region in Joshimath, Uttarakhand, by a group of special forces veterans has entered the final phase of training. About Soul of Steel:
- Soul of Steel Himalayan challenge- a joint initiative by Indian Army and CLAW Global was flagged off from Auli, Uttarakhand.
- It is a three months long skill and endurance challenge to test an individual’s high-altitude endurance.
- It is the world’s first self-sustained, high-altitude challenge at such glaciated and snow bound terrains.
- It is modelled on the lines of the ‘Ironman triathlon’ long-distance triathlon challenge in Europe which tests an individual’s grit and endurance.
- The general area of the expedition is the Nanda Devi national park which has several 7,000 feet plus peaks.
- It encompassed 12 weeks of training where participants from across India were trained in self-sustained style of mountaineering, survival, self-defence, navigation and emergency medicine to become self-sufficient.