Star Rating Registration Process for Coal and Lignite Mines
Context: The Ministry of Coal announces the commencement of Star Rating Registration process of Coal and Lignite Mines for the financial year 2022-23 About Star Rating Policy:
- Objective: To elevate the overall performance and sustainability of coal and lignite mining in the country by
- Driving competitiveness and promoting responsible mining practices
- Adopting advanced mining technology.
- Aim: To evaluate mines based on various factors across seven key parameters:
- Mining Operations
- Environment-related parameters
- Adoption of Technologies
- Best Mining Practices
- Economic performance
- Rehabilitation & Resettlement
- Worker-related Compliance and Safety & security.
- Evaluation Process:
- Participating mines are also encouraged to undertake a comprehensive self-evaluation process.
- Upon completion, the top 10% of the highest-scoring mines will be selected for further validation through an inspection conducted by a committee.
- While the remaining 90% of the mines will undergo an online review process.
- Ratings: The ratings awarded range from Five Star to NO Star, comprehensively evaluating each mine’s achievements.