DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 01-07-2023
India Plays a Key Role in Shaping ITU 6G Vision Framework
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU) has approved the 6G Vision Framework.
- India, through the Department of Telecommunications, the Ministry of Communications played a key role in framing the Framework.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi had released India’s 6G Vision “Bharat 6G Vision” document on March 23, 2023 which envisages India to be a front-line contributor in design, development and deployment of 6G technology by 2030.
- Bharat 6G Vision is based on principles of Affordability, Sustainability and Ubiquity.
- It ensures that India takes its rightful place in the world as a leading supplier of advanced telecom technologies and solutions that are affordable and contribute to the global good.
- The 6th Generation or 6G Technology has been named ‘IMT 2030’ by ITU, the specialised agency for Information and Communication Technologies of United Nations.
Uttar Pradesh Launched ‘Operation Conviction’
- The Uttar Pradesh (UP) Police Department launched ‘Operation Conviction’ to combat criminals and mafias in
The initiative will expedite the prosecution of cases registered under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, as well as those involving cow slaughter, religious conversion, rape.
- Operation Conviction will ensure the immediate arrest of criminals, the collection of strong evidence against them, quality investigation, and effective representation of cases in courts so that they are punished in the shortest amount of time.
- Each commissionerate/district will be required to identify 20 cases in each category under ‘Operation Conviction’ in addition to cases registered under the POCSO Act.
- To ensure that victims receive prompt justice, charges will be framed within 3 days of the
chargesheet being filed, and the trial will be completed within 30 days.
- A monitoring cell will be established in the office of each police commissioner or district police
chief to monitor the daily progress of the cases.
- This cell will be led by a gazetted officer who will ensure the speedy trial of cases identified
under ‘Operation Conviction.’
World Bank Approves $700 Million for Crisis-Hit Sri Lanka
- The World Bank has approved a substantial funding package of 700 million dollars for Sri Lanka, providing a significant boost to the country’s financial situation.
- Out of the approved funds, approximately 500 million dollars will be allocated for budgetary support, aimed at stabilizing the country’s economy.
- The remaining 200 million dollars will be dedicated to welfare support, with the objective of assisting those most affected by the ongoing crisis.
- The World Bank’s assistance represents the largest amount of financial support received by the crisis-stricken nation since the approval of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) agreement in March.
Kotak Mahindra Bank Partners with actyv.ai
- Kotak Mahindra Bank’s subsidiary, Kotak Mahindra General Insurance Company has partnered with ai to offer bite-sized insurance products to new-age Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) companies in India.
- Kotak General Insurance will leverage actyv.ai’s AI-powered platform to provide insurance solutions to support the business sustainability of small businesses.
- Through actyv.ai’s technology stack and Kotak General Insurance’s customized insurance products, this tie up will offer innovative insurance products to the enterprise and close to one lakh supply chain partner ecosystem to focus on driving growth without worrying about business risks.
Lausanne Diamond League 2023
- Olympic gold medalist Neeraj Chopra topped the Lausanne Diamond League 2023.
- Neeraj Chopra achieved the best throw of 87.66m during the competition.
- He has recently recovered from a hamstring injury sustained during training.
- Due to injury, he had to withdraw from three events in June: FBK Games, Paavo Nurmi Games and Ostrava Golden Spike.
Asian Kabaddi Championship
- India emerged winner in the final of the Asian Kabaddi Championship 2023 held in Busan, Korea on 30th June defeating Iran with a score of 42-32.
- This victory marks India’s eighth title out of nine editions of the championship, highlighting their dominance in the sport.
- Pawan Sehrawat, the captain of the Indian team, played a crucial role by securing a super 10, leading the team to success.
- India finished the league stage undefeated, winning all five matches and securing the top position in the points table.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Special Director in CBI
- Ajay Bhatnagar, a senior IPS officer of the 1989 batch from Jharkhand cadre, has been appointed as the Special Director in the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) as per a Personnel Ministry order.
- Currently serving as Additional Director in the CBI, Bhatnagar will hold the position of Special Director until his superannuation on November 20, 2024.
- Anurag, who was previously Joint Director in the CBI, has been promoted to the role of Additional Director in the agency for a period until July 24, 2023, which completes his sevenyear tenure.
- The Central Bureau of Investigation plays a crucial role in tackling high-profile cases, maintaining national security, and upholding the rule of law in India.
Biggest Air Exercise 'Tarang Shakti'
- The Indian Air Force is making preparations to organize a large-scale multilateral exercise in 2023, aimed at enhancing military cooperation with 12 nations.
- The exercise, named Tarang Shakti, is set to be the largest air exercise ever conducted in India, showcasing the country’s commitment to strengthening international military partnerships.
- Among others, air forces of France, Australia, the US and the UK are likely to participate in the exercise.
- The participating countries will contribute their military combat jets, as well as transport aircraft and other assets, showcasing their collective capabilities and fostering interoperability.
- Tarang Shakti will provide a platform for air forces from different nations to engage in joint training, exchange knowledge, and improve coordination in various operational scenarios.
- The exercise aims to enhance the mutual understanding and compatibility between the participating air forces, promoting regional stability and security.
- By hosting this mega-multilateral exercise, India seeks to demonstrate its commitment to regional cooperation and its capability to conduct large-scale joint military operations.
- The exercise will provide valuable insights into the operational capabilities of different air forces, facilitating the exchange of best practices and fostering stronger military ties.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Virgin Galactic Completes First Manned Mission to Space
- Virgin Galactic, founded by Richard Branson, successfully completed its first manned mission to the edge of space, marking a significant milestone for the company after two decades of dedicated efforts.
- The mission had a research-oriented focus and featured two Italian Air Force personnel, Colonel Walter Villadei and Lieutenant Colonel Angelo Landolfi, who were funded by Virgin Galactic.
- Pantaleone Carlucci, an engineer affiliated with Italy’s National Research Council, and Colin Bennett, a Virgin Galactic astronaut instructor, were also part of the group.
- The mission aimed to assess the flight’s comfort and functionality, providing valuable feedback to enhance Virgin Galactic’s rocket-powered spaceplane, VSS Unity.
- The journey began at Virgin Galactic’s spaceport in New Mexico, where the passengers boarded VSS Unity attached beneath the wing of the twin-fuselage mothership, VMS Eve.
- VMS Eve accelerated down the runway and ascended to an altitude exceeding 40,000 feet
before releasing VSS Unity.
World Asteroid Day
- World Asteroid Day is an annual global event observed on June 30.
- It is to commemorate the Tunguska event of 1908, in which a meteor airburst caused significant destruction in central Siberia, Russia.
- The Tunguska event is recognized as the Earth’s largest recorded asteroid impact, resulting in the devastation of approximately 2,000 square kilometers (500,000 acres) of pine forest.
- The primary objective of World Asteroid Day is to raise public awareness about the potential hazards posed by asteroid impacts and to inform people about crisis communication strategies in the event of a threat from a near-Earth object (NEO).
- NEOs are asteroids or comets that come close to Earth’s orbit. NASA’s Center for NEO Studies has discovered over 16,000 Near Earth Asteroids.
International Day of Parliamentarism
- International Day of Parliamentarism is celebrated every year on 30 June.
- It commemorates the founding of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in 1889.
- This day holds significance as it provides an opportunity to acknowledge and appreciate the progress made by parliaments worldwide in achieving their predetermined goals.
- The theme is ‘Parliaments for the Planet’, which urges parliaments around the world to lead by example in building a greener and more sustainable future.
- he goals of the International Day of Parliamentarism encompass several key aspects, including self assessment and evaluation of parliamentary performance.