Context: Recently, the primary patent of Janssen Pharmaceuticals, over bedaquiline expired.
News Source: The Hindu
- As a result, Indian manufacturers will now be able to supply generic versions of bedaquiline.
- Bedaquiline is a medication used in the treatment of drug-resistant tuberculosis (DR-TB).
- It is an antibiotic that targets the bacteria responsible for TB and is considered a cornerstone of DR-TB treatment.
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis (DR-TB) is a form of tuberculosis (TB) caused by bacteria that are resistant to one or more of the standard anti-TB drugs.
- Tuberculosis is caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Each year, nearly half a million people develop drug-resistant TB and nearly 10.4 million people develop drug-sensitive TB.
- One-third of the world’s population has latent TB, a version of the disease that can turn active as immunity falls.
- Nearly 2.8 million patients live in India making it a national public health emergency.
|What happens when a Patent over a Medicine Expires?